Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Natives List???

Posted by squirrel_girl 5b MI (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 13, 06 at 21:56

Does anyone know of a website (or other source)that has a comprehensive list or search function for plants native to Michigan or the Midwest.

I've made dozens of trips to the nurseries in the mood to buy, but can't remember the 20 or so plants I know are natives. I've come home empty handed more often than not. I want a simple list of 100+ natives that I can put in my purse. I don't want to have to sort through thousands and thousands of alien plants looking for the occasional native.

Thanks for the suggested sources.

Squirrel Girl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Natives List???

Yes. You can search for plants native to a state at the USDA plants site.

Over on the left-hand side, click on "state search."

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA plants

o

You might try the U Wisc site. They offer various search options, such as Family, Genera, Habitat, Common Name,etc.
Link below.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: WISFLORA

o

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Those sites are exactly what I needed. Now I can day dream through the winter what to plant in my beds this spring. (I have a few that I purchased yesterday that I can put in one night this week).

squirrel girl

o

Squirrel Girl,
Have you checked out the wintersowing forum? Native plants are ideal for growing using the wintersowing method. You can get a huge variety and tons of plants for a fraction of the cost by starting them from seed. The people over there are also very generous with their seeds. In fact, if you know what you're interested in , I could probably provide you with a decent start. I've been growing natives in Michigan for a few years and my sister has been at it even longer. So, together we have a modest native seed collection available. Good luck.
Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here