Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michigan lily prop

Posted by theresa2 z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 8:00

I stratified my michigan lily seeds, first warm, then cold in the refrigerator. Some of the seeds have successfully germinated. My plan is to keep them in cold storage until Jan or Feb. Then, I want to pot them up and grow them, over winter, under lights. I'll plant them outdoors come spring. My question is, how deep should I plant them in the pots and how deep do they need to be planted outside in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michigan lily prop

make a hole to hold the germinated seed 2-3 inces in depth
as it grows root/ bigger bulbings bury them in the hole ( slowly as the roots go down )keep the bulb slighly exosed untill you see the stem leaf coming up then keep it at 4 inches deep in the pot ( you can get an idea in the Amaryillis forum in pics of bulb exposure keep the bulb dry soil moist ect.. there both in the same family)just dont leave your bulb exposed

Outside planting 6 inches deep depending on what type of lily it is. Think of 6 inches as a good general idea from me as our zones are slightly different.

Yes I am going to ask what kind of lily ( by name) they are LOL cause I'm nosey
Wes

o

Thanks Wes. The lily I'm propogating is a midwestern native species called Michigan Lily (Lilium michiganense). It is very similar in appearance to Turk's Cap Lily (Lilium superbum) which is more of a southern species. It is quite common for people to identify Michigan Lily as Turk's Cap Lily but there are some slight differences.

o

So in response to the original question I posted here, I'd like to announce that I have successfully double stratified my Michigan Lily seeds by first stratifying the seed in warm/moist sand in a zip lock baggie (on top of my refrigerator) for 3 months (June, July and August), then in cold/moist sand in the same zip lock baggie (inside my refrigerator)for four months (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec). Then, in January, I planted the teeny-tiny bulbs in 3" pots with potting soil covered to a depth of 1/4 inch. Within a week or two I had 90% germination success. Yeah! So now, I'm just going to grow them over the remainder of the winter inside, under lights, and plant them out in my yard in spring. I understand that it will be several more years before they flower,(one leaf first year, two leaves second year, third year a plant, possible flower forth year) but I think it's worth the anticipation. Just thought I would post this information in case anyone else is interested in growing native Michigan lilies.

o

Good for you!! I've never had any luck with Michigan lily bulbs. I'm not even going off the seed, but by planting the bulb! I hope you have continued good luck with them ;-)

o

Very nice job Theresa2!

By getting such an early start, you may even have advanced the typical time frame by a year - perhaps something that looks like a plant in the second year. :)

o

Thanks terryr and northeastwisc for sharing your experiences and for your encouraging words. Northeastwisc, I'm hoping that you are right about having a plant the second year, that would be awesome!:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here