Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree identification (oak) ?

Posted by drdread Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 10:23

I have seen a tree around the Austin area that is clearly an oak but I have not been able to identify it. It seems to be mostly something that builders plant as part of the landscaping, so the only ones I have seen are sort of young. The tree has a relatively well-defined sphere for a canopy, with elongated leaves that are ~4-5 times long as they are wide. The one I saw yesterday was packed with tiny acorns. The acorns seemed to come in clusters of 3 or 4 in a bunch, and were the tiniest acorns I have ever seen -- the largest was 1/2" in size, and most were around 1/4" or so. The acorns were mostly sperical in shape.

My gut feel is that this thing is some sort of live oak, but the southern and escarpment live oaks around Austin look sigificantly different.

Does anyone know what this tree is?

Thanks,
D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree identification (oak) ?

If the tree has acorns, then it must be an oak. A more thorough description of the leaves would probably help you get more responses regarding ID. I'd guess that you are seeing Willow Oak, which is very common in landscaping. Willow oak is deciduous and should be losing its leaves sometime soon.

Questions to answer about the leaves include: What shape are the leaves (typical oak leaf shape? oval? heart shaped? lance shape?), what are the edges like (teeth or no teeth? large or small teeth?) are the leaves thick and leathery or thin like a maple leaf?

o
RE: Tree identification (oak) ?

We have lots of willow oak around here. They like wet, acidic soils. Leaves are like those of a willow tree, and branches sort of droop, but they do not weep like a willow. Fall color is typically yellow.

Here is a link to some images:

http://www.noble.org/imagegallery/Woodhtml/WillowOak.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here