Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oops, I Meant Burning Bush Alternative Not Firebush

Posted by lovefornature 5B IL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 10:47

Please disregard the message below about asking for alternative for the Firebush.

I really meant the burning bush, so sorry about that.

Does anyone know of a good alternative for the Burning Bush?

Thanks much :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oops, I Meant Burning Bush Alternative Not Firebush

If you're looking for plants with vibrant fall color, according to "Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants," by Bonnie Harper-Lore and Janet Marinelli, consider:

Aronia melanocarpa, the black chokeberry; Vaccinium corymbosum, the highbush blueberry; and Rhus aromatica, the fragrant sumac.

Another choice might be the native version: Euonymus atropurpureus.

When web surfing about replacements for this plant (burning bush), try using the scientific name: Euonymus alatus.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 10:55

"Another choice might be the native version: Euonymus atropurpureus."

The Wahoo look absolutely amazing outside my office window right now. The common name is too good not to use.

It's a large municipal planting of Wahoo, Maple Leaved Viburnum and Arrowwood. Incredible planting for fall color. They inexplicably hack everything back savagely midsummer every year. Whoever put them in obviously knew what they were doing but they must have moved on. I wonder how beautiful they might be if they got better treatment.

Some individual photo's I scrounged on the web of the plants in question.

Arrowwood

Maple-Leaved Viburnum

Eastern Wahoo

o

Around here (NY) I would reccommend spice bush. Not sure about your area. The Brooklyn Botanical Garden has a book on native alternatives to invasives that covers much of North America. They also have a web site with a lot of suggestions.

o

I have the Aronia melanocarpa and it has lovely purple red color that just makes me say "ahhhhh". I was really surprised by such lovely color because i wanted it for the berries. I want more of them now that i saw how lovely they are.
Bonnie

o

Those pictures are nice kwoods! I didn't know that Viburnum acerifolium could have such a lovely red fall color.

I planted some shrub seedlings this Spring and some of the little Gray Dogwoods have really nice fall color, sort of a muted purple color. (A couple of them are still pretty green though - I guess that's seedling variation?)

o

I would suggest Itea Virginica, commonly known as Virginia Sweetspire. It is available in both dwarf and larger growing varieties, and it is a native plant! It's my favorite for fall color, and the red foliage definitely is as good as the Burning Bush. Fothergilla is also great for fall color, and comes in dwarf or large varieties, and is also native. Plus they both offer fragrant blooms in the spring which is even better than the Burning Bush!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Native

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here