Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations on Plants from Seed

Posted by millefiori 7 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 11:00

We have a few acres of thinned woodland that I would like to plant with native wildflowers and sedges. Plugging and purchasing individual ornamental grasses from garden centers on such a scale would be cost prohibitive so I need to find a source for bulk seeds. Did locate a German source if necessary but prefer U.S. seed source.

Also, any recommendations as to types woodland sedges and grasses from seed for cold zone 7 and heat zone 7 would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

~ Tru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations on Plants from Seed

J.L. Hudson, Seedsman, would be a good start. Maureen

o

Ernst Conservation Seed has a woodland mix:
http://www.ernstseed.com/Pricelist/Woodland.htm
Search both Virginia & Maryland Native Plant Societies for sources of local, native seed.
Tussock Sedge or Carex stricta is a great woodland sedge which does best in wet sites.
Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernst Conservation Seed

o

have you ever tried to use americanmeadows.com?? i use them all the time.....

o

I have used Ernst also as well as Wildlife Nurseries, Inc.

o

I like the quality of the seed from www.wildseedfarms.com.
They seem to propegate very fast for me. Good luck

o

What is already growing in the woodland? Are there native plants you want to keep? Is it overgrown with undesirable plants? If there is already vegetation growing in the woods you will have to determine how to get the wildflower and grass seeds to grow. Most seeds do well onl if they have bare soil to sprout in - if there is a thick growth of existing vegetation you'll probably get really poor performance.

I recommend you start small - locate an area of perhaps a few hundred square feet and clear the existing vegetation. Ideally you will pick an area that has some sort of undesirable vegetation and till to destroy what is there and create bare soil for seed germination. Plant your seeds and see what happens, but be prepared for lots of weeds to appear with the wildlfowers. After a few test plots over the next couple of springs you'll have a good idea what plants thrive in your site, what you like, and what you already have that you might want to keep. Don't be seduced by pretty pictures in the wildflower catalogues - many of your local wildlfowers are just as pretty as the ones in the catalogues and the locals will be much easier to grow, in part because they may already be established on your site.

o

You can also buy a smaller order of plugs that you plant around the property and protect and that hopefully spread over time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here