Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for trout lily in large quantity

Posted by Asimina76 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 11:47

Hello, thanks for reading. I have a large wooded lot and I plan to populate it with woodland natives. Erythronium americanum (yellow trout lily) lives around here, and I'd like to obtain a large number of corms. Because I'd be planting so many, I am interested in getting a low price for quantity. Does anyone here have a suggestion for a cheap source? I have seen seeds for sale too, does anyone have experience in growing them from seeds? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for trout lily in large quantity

Have not grown them from seed, but they do spread by seed very easily. I planted just a few plants years ago and have them everywhere over a large area...windborn, I think, but maybe ants, a la Trilliums and Sanguinarias.

Also, they are very deep rooted, so if you decide to move some of what your currently have, be careful and dig deep. Otherwise, you are not going to get the corms.

You need to work with a wholesale nursery if you want lots of plants at a discounted price. Otherwise, cheap plants are usually dug from the wild, and you don't want to encourage that. Check internet sites. The list is too long to put here.

o
RE: Suggestions for trout lily in large quantity

The floodplain behind my house is covered in a solid carpet of trout lilies! I just dig a few in the fall and put them where I need them. They don't object, and spread back fairly quickly. They're even spreading into a moist, partially shaded pasture!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here