Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Gaultheria procumbens 'Winter Green' seeds

Posted by dandy_line 3B-Mn (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 13:35

I found some really nice Winter Green berries this past week and would like to germinate them. However, when I crushed the berries in hot water to extract the seeds, I can't find them, unless they are really tiny laying on the bottom. Does anyone have experience with this species? Is now an ok time to harvest the berries or do they months more on the plant. Or maybe they just are really tiny seeds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Gaultheria procumbens 'Winter Green' seeds

Cullina doesn't say anything about their being so tiny. Maybe they weren't ripe yet? Or perhaps they didn't get pollinated appropriately or had a disease?

I had what I thought were lovely seed pods on a silverbell, but when I opened them, something had eaten all of the seeds!!

Cullina says Gaultheria is slow from seed and cuttings and division are "more practical." Good luck!

o

Just harvested some seed - the seeds are very small. Less than a millimeter, and there were many seeds in each berry.

o

Good to know. I am cleaning seeds now, and my first experience with cranberry made my eyes cross...too small! The seeds that are almost dust, like orchids, are really easier, to me, than finding tiny seeds.

Good luck with growing them. I potted some up last winter, but nothing is showing yet. I usually wait at least three years before I give up. Had some native clematis that took three to germinate, so I try to be patient.

(And I live off the road, so neighbors cannot see my pot ghetto!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here