Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant still blooming in November??

Posted by Don757 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 15:02

Need to identify a lovely perennial here in Norfolk, Virginia. It reseeds itself, spreads, and lingers into the late fall. It has rather thick, dark green, alternate spatulate leaves at the base with thin stalks of tiny lovely dark red/purple flowers which look like small beads. Total height is about 18 inches. The "beads" come off the main stalk in alternate arrangements with each bead occupying an end of a fine, hair-like "branch." It is very shallow rooted and the leaves and base are very tender and easily snapped. I was told it was "Jewels of the Nile," but it is not a hosta or the large blue "Jewel of the Nile" I am familiar with. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant still blooming in November??

I have photos of this plant, but, being new to the forum, I do not know how to send them. I cannot find a prompt that asks if I want to include pictures.

o

It sounds lovely! If you can upload the photo to Photobucket (or similar) you can use the "HTML code" provided, and just insert it directly into the body of your post.

Good luck, I would love to see it! Your description was fine, BTW. It is nothing I recognize, but you did an excellent job of describing it's taxonomy.

o

Perhaps it is Jewels of Opar, Talinum paniculatum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Talinum paniculatum

o

That's it!!
Thank you esh_ga!!!!

o

Oh how absolutely lovely!!!!!! Is it a native where you live?

o

I live in the Tidewater area of southeastern Virginia. I was given a few plants several years ago and it has flourished by re-seeding itself like its cousin, the portulaca. The tiny, bright, dark red "beads" (flowers) look like brilliant fireworks bursts suspended above the dark green leaves. It brightens up the late fall landscape. The seeds are round and dark black, a bit larger than poppy seed.

o

Hi Don757,
I live in Hampton and am much intrigued by your plant, especially since it's native to our area. Do you know where I could find seeds, or do you have any you might be willing to share? If you click on my username, you should be able to send me an email. It would be great to have a local native plant pal!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here