Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I get a good freebie?? Need ID please

Posted by decogrl 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 15:47

So I bought an Itea Little Henry that was on a serious discount. In the same pot with it was a different plant growing (see pic with yellow leaves)--Is it a clethra? Or did I get a lously plant.

Thanks

Also, need another id of berrying shrub.

[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/leaves001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/LUVBRD/berries.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I get a good freebie?? Need ID please

Trying to upload pic again...

Leaves

berries

o

The Itea is a nice plant but I do not personally have it. The smaller leaves in your photo look like they may be Clethra....the larger leaf (which I assume is from the same plant) does not look quite right in color or shape.....but I am not 100% sure.

Teh berried shrub looks like one of the bush honeysuckle. Most of them are invasives.

o

Thanks...yes, the red leaf on the right was supposed to be the Itea and the yellow ones I thought too were clethra.

Interestingly the berrying shrub was at a wildlife habitat on Maryland's Eastern shore and I cannot imagine them planting invasives there.

o

Interestingly the berrying shrub was at a wildlife habitat on Maryland's Eastern shore and I cannot imagine them planting invasives there.

These things come in on their own and in a large area they are not always noticed for what they are. You might want to send the picture to them and indicate where it was so that they can do further research on their own.

o

Even though bush honeysuckle is an invasive plant it shows up on many lists to plant for wildlife. Even some conservation bundles still include it.

Many are spread by birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here