Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
native sweet pea annual

Posted by tropical_thought San Francisco (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 17:08

I am looking for a sweet pea that is different. I grew this one, but I am now unable to find the seeds any longer. The place I got them from stopped carrying them. I don't know the name of them. Regular sweet peas do not work for me. The vines become too big and end up shading out my other plants. These of which I have only the one photo, have a thinner vine with thinner leaves. The flowers are smaller then normal sweet peas. I have tried all kind of other sweet peas and I have never been happy with them. I tired spencers and winter elegance, but they are all sort of the same, other then the colors may be different.

Sweet pea is Lathyrus odoratus the ones I am looking for would be called Lathyrus "blank" or Lathyrus "something else". At least I think so, maybe even the Lathyrus part is incorrect.

Here is a link that might be useful: flower of the flower I grew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
not a native?

It may not be a native plant, but I think it is more primative then Lathyrus odoratus and often mistaken for a weed. Therefore, it must be native to somewhere, but it could be europe. It may not be native to the USA. It may actually be a weed, I am not sure, but it had a pretty flower and was not invasive or I would of had a second crop of them.

o
RE: native sweet pea annual

I've never grown sweet peas so I can't help you there but for a flower like this, I would probably just plant scarlet runner beans. Beautiful flowers on a climbing plant, edible pods, and gorgeous ornamental beans. Seeds are easy to come by plus it is native to the Americas and is non-invasive.

FataMorgana

o

There is a variety growing wild here in Mich. that I believe is Lathyrus palustris, wild pea, marsh pea or march vetchling, this species is a perennial. There are no obvious fruits because I tried to find some seeds this fall and could only find what I think were pods, and there were not very many of them, but won't be sure until I try to germinate them this coming spring. They are not exactly like your photo, the flower color is white to violet or pink - see the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Nature Photos

o

The place I got them from stopped carrying them.
Was it an on line site or a local place? Have you tried inquiring about the pea even though they don't still carry it?

You might try asking at Name That Plant

The link below shows the names and ranges of 60 different Lathyrus.

You might also try contacting Fragrant Garden Nursery and see if they might know what pea you had and if they might carry it. I was going to order from them several years ago, and checked out numerous ones, and saw that the vine length varied a lot on some of them.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lathyrus

o

I got it at fragrant garden to begin with. I asked again every few years and last time I asked, I got no reply. They dont have it anymore, and won't ever get it again. It was such a cool flower. I had a whole row of them in front.
But my gardener thought they were weeds and pulled them out so I never got a chance to set some seeds for next year.

o

It sure looks like Henry Eckford. It is described as bright orange.

Fragrant Gardens has Henry and it is described as almost clear orange though their pic shows it as more red.

Might that be it?

But my gardener thought they were weeds and pulled them out so I never got a chance to set some seeds for next year.
So, have you got you a new gardener now? grrrrrrr.....

Sue

o

Maybe Orange Dragon?

Boy I love Sweet Peas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Dragon

o
RE: Me again...native sweet pea annual

You also might try asking at the link below. Now it seems to me that I saw a lovely orange sweet pea growing somewhere and it was just strikingly beautiful.

Do you remember about how long the vines got?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Vines Forum.

o

The vine is totally different looking. The vine has very thin narrow leaves, and is not lush like a real sweet pea. There is only one flower in isolation not clusters of flowers. But it does not take up much space and shade out other plants, so I liked it. The vine does look like a common weed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here