SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairyslipper

Ceanothus, Arctostaphylos OR Myrica

fairyslipper
15 years ago

I really need some help on this one. I want to plant a barrier between my house and the street, about 20 feet deep and 50 feet long. I don't want a solid straight-line hedge, but an area of native plants that will include Oregon grape, Salal and sword fern. I want one more shrub that will get a bit taller than all these. My main focus is NATIVE to willamette valley and I want it to have WILDLIFE benefits. Mainly birds, squirrels, bees, butterflies etc. I am torn between these three species: Ceanothus velutinus (snowbrush), Myrica californica (California wax-myrtle) and Arctostaphylos columbiana (hairy manzanita). I do not know if my soil has good drainage, it seems pretty wet. The site is mainly in the shade for the first half the day and then sun for last half. I would also like it to "FIX" NITROGEN which ceanothus and myrica do, but I think the arctostaphylos is more common here. I think the myrica mainly grows on the coast. I think all three of these are more common to dry sites. Does anyone have any other possiblities or suggestions as to which one of these I should plant?

Comments (4)

Sponsored