SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hemnancy

Edible native plants

hemnancy
14 years ago

I've been thinking about the plants we grow for food, they are from all over the world and have been selectively bred for perhaps centuries, resulting in palatable vegetables and fruits but not ones that can take care of themselves. They have to be planted, set out, fertilized, and watered every year. I'm realizing that perhaps there are a lot of natives I could be growing instead that would not require all this work once established, and could even provide food in winter, as roots. I'm trying to find out about these plants but have a lot of problems with voles and rabbits, and it's hard to find out which natives with edible roots they would bother and if there are some they would leave alone.

Some plants with edible roots, from the very extensive list below, I'm considering growing are:

Apios americana

Althaea officinalis

Aralia nudicaulis

Asclepias purpurascens, speciosa, tuberosa

Balsamorhiza sagittata

Dalea candida, purpurea

Geum urbanum

Phlomis tuberosa

Psoralea esculenta

Has anyone grown them for food and found them palatable, and can you comment on vole damage? The native onions listed in the link are described as being repellent, so maybe interplanting them with the above roots would help protect them.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF roots

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!