Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Evergreen Hawthorn Shrub?

Posted by laylaa 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 08 at 10:57

Is there such thing as an evergreen Hawthorn shrub, not tree? I see a slew of Hawthorns shrubs at local nurseries but didn't pay attention because it's not something I had researched enough and don't know my natives from non. Well, now I can find a zillion lists of native hawthorns, primarily from the USDA maps, but heights and evergreen/deciduous isn't listed. Other lists tend to be by region. I am looking for an alternative to Ternstroemia/Cleyera for dense wildlife coverage and thought hawthorn berries would be a bonus. The height of what I need is not an issue but coverage is so I wanted shrubs. I have as many hollies, viburnum & wax myrtles as I need. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Evergreen Hawthorn Shrub?

I think you are thinking of Rhaphiolepis indica, often called Indian (or India) Hawthorne. This is not native to the US, it is from Asia.

If you are looking for native evergreen shrubs, consider Ilex glabra (Inkberry), Mountain laurel, Rhododendron, Agarista populifolia, Leucothoe axillarius, and Florida Anise (Illicium floridanum).

o

I knew I did not want Indian hawthorn but have finally figured out hawthorn is not what I need for this spot. At the same time, during my searching, I did manage to discover that what I do need (not want, this is a need) is to find a spot for a parsley hawthorn. This of course has zero to do with the area I am working on and was researching hawthorns for in the first place.

I actually have spots for all that you mentioned, or have planted them already. I was looking for something that grows faster since I have zero wildlife coverage, just canopy and a large space to the woods floor. I need something more instant while the others fill in. Right now my heliobores are bigger than my 3 gal. rhododendron. The birds are not impressed with my efforts thus far.

o

Well, you could buy BIGGER plants to start with! ;)

Yaupon holly is another evergreen native. What is the size and shape and sun exposure that you are looking for?

o

I could buy bigger plants but I have an acre to do that has nothing on it, or nothing I want, plus retaining walls to build. I'm going broke! My demanding birds will just have to remain unimpressed.

I am trying specifically to create a wildlife corridor. It's about 25'x 180', filtered sun with little direct sun. Still, the filtered sun is a decent amount. Wooded with mixed hardwoods, pine. The soil is good, acid side but that's good for what I want. The canopy is good, but I pulled miles of honeysuckle out of it so expect it to grow. The honeysuckle killed the middle layer and forest floor so it needs rebuilding. It's not dry but not moist enough for anise. It may dry out more since again, the vines totally blocked the sun.

I intend to plant mahonia (NOT NOT NOT bealei!) in the deeper shade, a couple southern wax myrtles in the sunnier spots and several deciduous berry happy viburnums. What I lack is evergreen. Summer with all the viburnum will be fine but in winter I only have two spots of evergreens. There is no wildlife coverage on this property.

I am not a native purist but I am a non invasive purist. I need that perfect, instant growing, shade loving, dense shrub that's non-invasive to boot. I don't ask much. If all else fails I will use Cleyera japonica (Ternstroemia) which as far as I can see has no invasive status. Grew it before (inherited) with no problems and something was always nesting in it. Maybe leatherleaf viburnum but I am not good with leatherleaf - ordered Dirrs book for help. If you have any alternative thoughts I'd be happy to hear them.

I have planted two yaupons and a few other hollies, but in a sunnier spot. Love hollies. Common I know but dang, they are perfect. No suckers, grows anywhere, needs no pruning and is a wildlife bonanza. Let native hollies be common I say! Pick them over bradford pears any day for mass subdivision, office park plantings.

o

"It's not dry but not moist enough for anise".

You may be surprised to learn where Anise will grow!
I know, all of the experts claim it has to have almost bog conditions, because that is where most of the native populations are found.
I have grown them on a red clay hillside for more than 20 years. Of course, clay retains moisture, but on a slope, it also sheds water.
I planted 2 in sand on a GA barrier island about 3 years ago and they had to be satisfied with the moisture provided by passing showers. They have become established and are beginning to attain some height. They aren't rapid growing shrubs and require a few years to become established.
I am growing the red(maroon), white and yellow flowering ones.
Once flowering size (they begin to produce flowers at an early age), you can remove the seedlings from underneath the shrubs and plant them at desired locations around your woodlands.
Rb

o

RB, I am going to try anise again, just don't know what kind yet. I had it before but it was a watering issue and got afternoon droop. I had a well then. It may have been taking it's cue from some snowball hydrangeas which are drama queens. Snowball hydrangeas I inherited and will not be planting again.

This is like rubiks cube, and I was one of those that peeled the stickers off.

o

esh, the Agarista populifolia wins. It's perfect. Thanks!!

o

I'm glad you like it. The cultivar 'Leprechaun' is a real nice form for smaller areas.

What won me over is the fact that it is not a favorite of deer!

o

Well I need to find it first. Locating the plants is the biggest challenge as we all know. Nearly Natives has it, but getting to Fayetville isn't going to happen - way too far. Too bad, they have several things I want. They really need a second location in north Ga!!!

I had 6-8 deer at my last place with no trouble. I put an apple mineral block way way off to the side and planted a bunch of plants, grasses just for them. They only ate one hosta - repeatedly, out of many many hostas - in 10 years. Maybe you should try this? It did not attract them to hang out in my yard but when they came, gave them easy food over my garden. They loved the block and this kept them busy.

o

I don't know where you are, but Buck Jones usually has it. They have locations in Grayson and Woodstock (close to Roswell/Crabapple/Canton).

What is an apple mineral block? My neighbor feeds them corn. I do spray Liquid Fence from time to time.

o

I am in Dawsonville. Buck Jones I can do. There is also a John Deer landscaping here but I am not familiar with them. Ran through very quickly once, plants seemed healthy and great prices but I didn't say OH WOW! VIBURNUMS! I MUST RETURN WITH A BIG TRUCK! I am not an impulse buyer of plants.

An apple block is like a salt lick. looks like this although that is not the one to get! I had a 25lb block that I got at North Fulton Feed & Seed in Alpharetta, it lasts for years. They are apple flavored with calcium and minerals. Don't use the grain or molasses types, they melt instantly and stink! Cattle & horse blocks are not the same either. I've had a tough time finding the good blocks in this area so will trip to Alpharetta for another. The birds love them as well, and pecked at it constantly. Especially finches. I set it on a stump, threw rye grasses seeds out and milo (sprouts like gangbusters), the deer grazed there and the birds, squirrels, fox, assorted critters, even turtle buddy all were regulars. It was in a small cleared area, they do bleed salt when it rains so don't put around plants you like, but the grasses did fine.

Corn is very bad for deer. Tell your neighbor to change his evil ways. It's killing them with kindness. We have way too many deer but making them sick is not good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here