Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
difference between grass and sedge?

Posted by steelskies 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 14:56

Can someone explain the differences - what makes a grass and grass, and a sedge a sedge? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: difference between grass and sedge?

Grasses have joints; sedges have edges. (There is a rhyme to support this!) There are other differences, but to the naked eye, the grass flowers have the herringbone pattern that looks like wheat, while the sedge, officially Carex, has only one bract and often separate male and female flowers. I usually notice the joints on the grasses first.

The Carex genera have been increasingly popular in landscaping lately. I love C. plantaginea and C. platyphylla. The first one is normally found in moist areas, but it has done well for me in dry shade for several years, even in drought. Try it!

o

My entire 1 & 1/2 acre 'lawn' is wild and mostly Carex pennsylvanica. It looks like grass, but only grows 8" tall and never needs to be mowed. What a good deal.

o

I love C. pennsylvanica...also the Cherokee one. I can get them "going" in clumps in containers or a few spots in the ground, but apparently it is too hot here to have a large expanse such as you have...and we have in the NC mts.

Your "lawn" sounds wonderful!

o

I have Cedar sedge growing wild under my cedar trees. It is hot and dry here. Carex planostachys. It grows where it wants to grow, not where you want it to grow. I have a difficult time moving it around. the roots are very touchy.

o

Had to look that one up. Nice. If I ever get out to TX again, I will watch for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here