Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spring fed hole fauna ???

Posted by compost_hugger_nancy z4/5 NES MI (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 24, 06 at 15:07

Spring fed hole about 6 or 7' roundish. Had frogs last year and this fall but now I found a frog dead and some whorl leaved green plant. I'm assuming the plant is some kind of bladder wort or horn something?? Can't locate any pictures to ID it.

The hole is spring fed and I have never seen it freeze over. A little thin ice at edges last year but only a thin glaze no more than 1 inch wide. The brook it creates only 3-9 inches wide. Never saw any dead frogs in it either. It was full of frogs this past year. Could it be milfoil that entered from the ground spring? Could milfoil take all oxygen and kill the frogs?

So now that the spring is in more sun than past (elder etc near falling over. Never noticed this plant until last three years. Never seen it on any of the rest of the property (wet conifer peat wooded). So I am wondering where to find a possible photo ID.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spring fed hole fauna ???

Do you have a picture of it that you can share?

o
RE: spring fed hole fauna ???

I'm not trying to sound cheeky (at all) but I don't think one dead frog is something to worry about with or without the plant. It's possible it could have died of natural causes or something grabbed it and then decided it wasn't pallitable. If you saw a group or even an abundance of dead frogs, then I'd worry.

Whorled pogonia is a threatend plant in MI so if that's what it is, it's a blessing to see one (or more).

Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here