Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berries!

Posted by cobravenom Oklahoma (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 15:25

I am curious as to what these are. I have searched the net (which more often than not proves worthless) for nearly 2 hours now with no luck. They are short and grow in groups.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berries!

Another photo to show them from a different angle

o

Just based on color my guess would be beautyberry. It is kind of hard to tell how the berries are arranged on the stems, but it looks about right to me. Just a guess.

o

Compare to coralberry, Symphoricarpos orbiculatus.

o

Coralberry or maybe Beautyberry.

o

This is Coralberry, Symphoricarpos orbiculatus. Not Beautyberry, Callicarpa sp.

o

I always thought they were the same thing Flora. Can you describe the difference? I live in Z3b and would like to have one or both of them.
Thanks in advance.

o

I can't 'describe' the differences as I am not a botanist. To me they look different in the same way a cow and a horse look different but if you try to pin down the differences in lay persons' terms it is not easy. One characteristic would be that the Callicarpa does not have a remnant of the flower calyx visible at the end of the berry. They are different species with different botanical characteristics and that's all there is to it. If you look up the two species names I gave you will see that they are completely different plants. Maybe it is the similarity in the common names which causes the confusion.

o

Thanks for the analogy Flora(or is it Floral?). I have had Coralberry at my previous residence and found it to be very UN-exciting. It would not grow as a hedge(it likes to roam around too much), stems grow very unevenly, and berries way too small to be effective. But I'm going to find some plants again this year to keep all the Snowberry company in a new and wilder place.
Sorry to hijack this post.

o

Not hijacking at all - a logical continuation of the discussion imo.

It used to be Flora but then suddenly my login stopped working so I had to reinvent myself and added an 'L'.

o

They look like buck brush that grows in the woods here in Kansas to me.

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 20:49

dandy_line, sorry to say that beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) will not survive in your zone 3b. It's too cold :(
Too bad, as beautyberry is one of my favorite shrubs and I have many plants.(dozens).

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 10:14

Clark, that is 'buck brush'. I also knew it by that name.

o

The pattern of berries on the stem is fairly different, if this pic of coralberry is typical. Beautyberry looks like purple balls with more space between them, and evenly spaced on the stem, until you get close enough to see the individual berries. The berries are smooth. This straggly plant doesn't show the pattern of berries well, but I think the smoothness of them can be seen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here