Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searching for Duckweed

Posted by LaughRaven none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 23:22

I'm a student at my county's Agriculture Science & Technology college. For a project I have decided to grow and experiment with a hydrophyte. I'm looking to buy a small amount of the Giant Duckweed (Spirodela Polyrrhiza) as I have been unable to find any natural resources of it in any of my local waters. If you have any of this particular Duckweed and wouldn't mind selling me a portion of it, please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searching for Duckweed

There are different sizes of duck weed?

o

There are indeed. Lemna minor, for instance, is a smaller duckweed, and previously known as Lemna major, later renamed Spirodela Polyrrhiza, is a considerably larger type of duckweed.

I could name you the specific dimensions and act like a know it all, but you would be better off punching in "Duckweed" into Google search and you'll get all the information you like on the several different types of Duckweeds.

o

Every pond or lake I've seen has duckweed - are you near any water like this?

o
RE:: Searching for Duckweed

Every pond or lake I've seen has duckweed - are you near any water like this?

o

Yea, they like to kill it here. It is every where.

o

I'm out in Arizona, north of Phoenix. I havn't been able to find any growing naturally around, so instead I'm trying to find a place to buy some on-line. Anyone know of a website that might sell small amounts of the different Duckweeds?

o

http://www.pondplants.com/aisle6.html

This site ships small amounts, but recommends you check with your state's laws about importing 'weeds' into Arizona.

Here is a link that might be useful: Various pond plants for sale via internet

o

Does your college have a greenhouse? If so, they may have an aquatic plant display, which often include duckweeds and Azolla (either intentionally or as hitchhikers). If not, I would suggest contacting any nearby university greenhouse (try going through their botany and/or horticulture department). Let them know you are a student and are looking for this particular species. People at universities and colleges are usually great at helping out students, even if they aren't at the same school. You can also contact a public botanic garden with the same question.

o

Thank you for the website recommendation Kayjones, I've also already researched the Lemna species and found that they have not been deemed a noxious weed here in AZ. And thank you nativeplanter for the idea on the local universities, i hadn't thought to check their Horticulture programs yet. Also the only duckweed at my college's greenhouse is the Lemna minor i made into my last semesters Project (which i had to go find somewhere else too) so that wont be much help.

o

hmmm...I meant to post this earlier.

Have you checked with the DNR? I imagine if you can find a helpful employee there, they can tell you of a source on a DNR property, and maybe give you permission to collect enough for your project.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Dept of Natural Resources.

o

I suspect because of the location, duckweed isn't as prevalent in Arizona as it would be elsewhere.

Our waters are all hard here right now. If you can't wait till spring, when the water softens, I can send you some.

o

Thats kind of you Joe. I'm still searching for Giant duckweed and would appreciate any help that can be offered. My spring semester has recently started however i have plenty of time to wait for warm weather and for the dormant duckweeds to resurface again. Please keep me updated on when your particular waters warm up and might be able to obtain some DW for me! Thanks.

o

can anyone help me find a pond/lake where duckweed is growing in or near showlow arizona or at the verry least how to go about lookin that up online been trying to find the answer to that question for hours and it driveing me crazy any help would be much appreciated -thanks-

o

me1me

Welcome to Garden Web!

Did you read the posts above?

Do you know what type of duckweed you are looking for?

Hid you check out the link I provided above to Arizona Dept of Natural Resources?

Did you check out the link above to "Various pond plants for sale via internet"?

I'm assuming you want to acquire some, as opposed to maybe just taking pics of it. Right?

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here