Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nurserys for Houseplants in Winter

Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 05 at 20:32

Hi all. I posted this on the NY/Metro forum and got a few responses so thought I would try here. There are numerous nurserys for outdoor landscape plants on Long Island. Where is one to find nurserys that supply QUALITY houseplants during the winter months? Many of the local nurserys around here close down during the winter months and most really do not carry much in the way of indoor houseplants. There are a couple around here but the choices are limited. Anyone know of any local places on Long Island (Suffolk County)for winter houseplants-good selection and quality? Some of us need a little "green" fix in the middle of winter and sometimes it's hard to find! Thanks in advance for any responses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nurserys for Houseplants in Winter

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 7, 05 at 12:49

Hicks has great houseplants and they usually have some decent sales in winter... alas they are in Nassau. Could be worth the trip if you were looking for something specific. I saw HUGE philodendrons there a week or two ago for $15.00.

o

Hicks is very close to the Northern State/LIE so it might not be too bad of a trip for you. I linked you to their website below. I haven't been there since spring so I'm not sure what they have in stock right now. But I seem to remember them always having a lot of cactus, cyclamen, african violets in the winter. And many tropical houseplants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hicks' hours and directions

o

• Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 10, 05 at 17:22

Thank you both! I think I'll take a trip the next time I need my winter "green" fix. It sounds like a wonderful place.

o

Lee, you inspired me, I paid them a visit today.

They're having a 30% off sale on all foliage and flowering plants. They're also having deeper discounts on Christmas ornaments and the like.

I bought three little cactus for a fishbowl/terrarium project, an asparagus plumosa, a bag of cactus soil mix, and a bunch of plastic drip trays to replace my old crummy ones.

I also have their "Gardeners Advantage" card so I saved $5.00 at checkout from credits from previous purchases. I like those kinds of surprises.

They have a ton of cyclamen, phalenopsis orchids, cactus, hanging houseplants (pothos, ivy, etc.), gardenias, banana trees, dracena, amaryllis, daffodils, paperwhites... that kind of stuff.

I went at about noon, 1pm and there was no one there. I don't think you have to worry about crowds!

o

• Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 16, 05 at 21:28

Glad you enjoyed! I love your screen name - that's how I feel all year long! A friend and I are going to venture there one of these days-looking forward to it! Happy indoor gardening!

Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here