Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Newbie needs help!

Posted by roxy_b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 08 at 14:55

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to gardening. My fiance and I are first time home owners, and our house was really in need of some TLC when we came along, namely the yard. Somehow got delegated to me, but it's been a lot of fun so far learning about the different plants and such. But here's my problem...

On either side of our house, we have neighbors who like English Ivy. We of course, don't. One side I've been able to keep on top of for the most part - trimming it back as it crawls over the fence. Lots to maintain, but worth it. On the other side though, the neighbor's ivy got up and over the fence years ago and no one every did anything about it so now I've got a random patch about 15'x 5' that I'm dying to get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not allergic to it so I don't mind getting in there with brute force. But I want it gone before it gets any bigger! The only suggestion I got so far was to burn it (!) but that didn't seem very safe... plus it would probably stand immortal in the flames anyway. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Newbie needs help!

If it is a good location for a garden, how about laying down some cardboard over it and start up a lasagna garden? Clip the vines coming over the fence (something you will probably have to do periodically).

o

Try Roundup. Liberally. But not on a breezy day!

o

I have a lot of English ivy here as well. My sister has been gradually digging it out, and that seems to work quite well. We don't like it much, either.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here