Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fire wood

Posted by whendfine (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 15:03

I remember Nassau parks saying you could take fire wood and wood chips. Does anyone know about this? we just got a wood burning stove.

Thanks,

whendfine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fire wood

There were couple of county parks that were letting you get wood. We got some up from the arboretum in Oyster Bay. Realize that the wood is new wood and needs to be seasoned and needs to be cut and split, most of the logs are pretty big. I think Northshore Today ran the article I saw about who had the wood. Try calling them or call one of the town parks, I am sure they can direct you to which parks offered the wood.

If you are in the town of Oyster Bay you can also try the town highway yard, but only thru the middle of this month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Town Highway Yard Info.

o
RE: fire wood

there was a treecutter place in masapequa on 'old sunrise' (the part that goes straight east-bound while 27 swings left/north
he used to have so much firewood that he'd give away the cut and split dried stuff!

i just got 30 yards of fresh maple woodchips dumped in my driveway,just happened to see them cutting around the corner from me...

call ANY tree service in the yellow book and if theyre nearby you theyre usually thrilled to deliver unsplit firewood size chunks at your doorstep...saves them $ from dumping fees.

i've been doing htis for years,but i ask that they leave the logs at least 3'long as i use it for my flutes,furniture and rustic wooworking crafts...

goodluck!
matthew

Here is a link that might be useful: my site: tribal wind arts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here