Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maintenance on privet hedge

Posted by sjudy z6/7 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 15:16

We're thinking of planting a privet hedge around our front yard--about 150-200 line feet. No problem with zoning/permits, thankfully. We would like the benefits of a wind screen and deer screen, but haven't ever planted or maintained one before. I understand it takes about two shearings a year to keep a relatively tidy-looking privet hedge. OK, but how long does it take to shear, say, 10 feet of 8-foot-high privet? And is it very difficult to shear a curved length of hedge, like if you wanted to ease it around a tree or round patio; or should I stick to straight runs of privet "walls"? And are there favorite brands or types of electric shears, anyone? Any advice appreciated. I don't want to plant the hedge only to discover we can't maintain it. Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maintenance on privet hedge

personally, i really don't think they are worth the effort. we have an old hedge that was here when we moved in and it is still here because my husband likes it. it will not stop deer. I must say I can't understand why people think it offers that much privacy when the hedge is bear from November through at least April. I have seen some gorgeus evergreen hedges but I don't know the species.

8 feet is very high and I would not clip that myself. i leave ladders and electric clippers to the professionals. Right now, ours is only about 4.5 feet because we gave it a heavy duty shearing 18 months ago and it is very easy to clip. I think we do ours about 3 times per year. The biggest job is cleaning out the fallen leaves and debris in the spring and fall that get caught in there. I swear our hedge catches the leaves from the whole neighborhood as they blow down the street. I know I should make the effort and put up some sort of screen.

I apologize for sounding so negative but I really don't care for mine.

o

• Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 16:37

A couple of alternates to privet hedge could be ilex glabra (inkberry) or buxus (boxwood). They would require the same maintenance as the privet but would be evergreen all year long and are listed to be deer resistant. There are upright hollys as well such as Ilex crenata which grows to 8-10 feet and makes an excellent hedge and deer tend not to prefer it. Just a couple of other plantings to think about.

o

Check into Thuja Green Giant. Zones 5-9. Deer resistant. No pruning (except to keep at a specific height). Grows well over 8 feet. Stays green all year (while the Privet does not).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here