Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant for spring, Long Island

Posted by lilbidyone (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 9:29

I moved here from CA last October, so this will be my first East Coast Garden. But because the seasons are so different, I'm not sure when to plant..?? I just plant simple flower gardens ..dianthus, petunias, daisies..etc. Any help would be great... My green thumbs are itching to get back in the soil!!
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant for spring, Long Island

Hi Heather
Yes, NY is different from CA. Welcome to Long Island!! The plants that you mentioned above, are you growing them indoors, or do you plan on buying plants? Dianthus are pretty hardy, petunias are not, I'd wait til mid to late May to set out the petunias. Daisies are perennial here, but again, if these are store bought plants or you are growing them indoors, I'd wait til May. Last May was unseasonably cool, but the year before was beautiful. Hang in there, you'll get used to the east coast climate.
Alberta

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 10:44

Average last frost date is April 15th. Click the link to see a map of when yours is.

I usually start planting annuals a week or two after the last frost date.

o

I have similar questions. I am in Hamden, CT, about three miles inland from the New Haven harbour and very near Lake Whitney and the dam. I am from North Texas, so you can see I am like a fish out of water. I have had two seasons of doing OK with tomatoes, peas, carrots and eggplant. When can I usually put out tomato plants? Is now the time I should be putting SS peas in the ground? Does okra stand a chance of making. I have Burgandy and Cajun Jewel. Should I base seedling transplanting on soil temperature?
BTW, most of my gardening is in containers-5 to 10 gallon size (largest plastic pot Home Depot sells) because of tree shade, the driveway is my only well lit area.

o

my family owns a plant farm and its all about weathering your plants you can harden them off during the day and take them in at night then they can be planted earlier. when u grow a plant inside then put it outside right away it goes into shock and dies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here