Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Rye and other landscape grasses on the coast

Posted by ellen_s z5 centralMA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 15:55

hi all - I'm not usually on this forum because I'm an "inlander" in central MA, but I am writing a book on wildlife gardening in New England and am writing a section on gardening to enhance wildlife habitat in residential coastal areas. I've found some useful stuff on this forum already, but I am hoping you guys can help me out! I am looking for good grasses for ornamental use as well as for restoration use (in heavily disturbed areas). I try to stick with natives for the most part but if there is a non-native wildlife-friendly plant that works really well AND is not ecologically destructive in any way, then I will include it.

Can anybody advise me on good grasses to use in coastal plains and near the ocean?

So far I have Blue Lyme Grass, Switchgrass, Wild Rice, Hairgrass, Little Bluestem, Big Bluestem, Cordgrass, Sedges, and the classic American Beach grass for sandy dune areas.
If anybody has any experience with these grasses or can add any more, I would be really grateful.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Rye and other landscape grasses on the coast

Ellen,
Congratulations on the book it sounds like an exciting undertaking. I would like to suggest that you contact the folks at Polly Hill Arboretum with coastal native plant questions. They are really nice folks with a wealth of info. The link is to a page on native grasses on their site. Good Luck. kt

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Grasses Polly Hill

o

hi KT, thanks so much for the Polly Hill link! I found some good stuff on that web page! And thanks for the congrats...and thanks for the congrats..I have been working on this book for several years now, and got laid off last year so have been working on it full-time with the hope of finding a publisher soon.

o

Northern Sea Oats is pretty and salt tolerant.

If you have a section on wildlife gardening near the coast, be sure to mention the Beach Plum. Possibly the American Persimmon, Virginia Rose, and American Holly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here