Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cape Cod 2005

Posted by betsy383 z6CapeCod (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 19:29

Hi Chantel,

Thought I'd start a new "Cape Cod" thread so we can find it:-) Lot's of summer Cape Codders due to arrive soon and inspect their properties after all this snow. I'm sure we'll be hearing from them.

Projects....excavated on Tuesday for the shed that's arriving beginning of May. Today I shoveled 4 truckloads of bluestone for the foundation. Most of my bulbs are showing life in the south-facing garden. Need to buy more bulb boost.

I didn't make the Flower Show again this year. SIGH....
But I guess I have enough ideas already.

Went to Crocker's on Friday with my neighbor. We were remarkably restrained. Under $100 for both of us! But, oh boy, they had some beautiful red-twig dogwood. Next trip. Plants had to go to my shop (mostly unheated & good light) until we can plant them end of May.

Sure been quiet around here since "DiggintheDirt" is in Barbados. Hope it picks up soon.

Dump opens 4/1 for compost. YEA!!!!

Betsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cape Cod 2005

Betsy,
Would you be so kind as to explain THE DUMP & CROCKERS to a newbie to this site.I love to garden and we live on Otis or Mass military reservation, I am still learning the best places to go.
Thanks and best wishes for a spectacular spring :-) Wendeyzee

o

Betsy, I sent you a reply, just in case you didnt get it, Thank you for your note on the Dump.

o

HI All

I didn't make it to Crocker's (located in Brewster) Easter Periannial Sale either, nor the Boston Flower Show or the Barnstable Home Show!
:-( Oh well next year!

My yard looks aweful!!! I thought the snow would insulate the plants but we had a lot of new Roses put in last season - my daughter Alexis' hobby is Roses. Not sure some made it. I don't really think we will know until May. Some bulbs are coming up and yep the crouses (sp) always do. I did rake and put lime on the front lawn plus some around the lilac bushes. I also added to the compost bins over the winter.

This weekend is suppose to be nice weather - so I think I will work on the back lawn - rake and lime. I have tons of sticks and tree limbs from the hard snow falls we got. The pond is filled with them too! I think I will swing by the beach and get some seaweed some for the compost bins and some to put around as mulch, especially for those plants that are looking sick. Who knows maybe I will get two arbors that I bought online put together - they were a good deal!

Lots of work but I figure if I do a little each day - come May it will make the planting easier.

Our dump in Harwich on Queen Anne Road has compost - free for the taking. I don't know though what date they will start offering it - I will have to find out. We used it last year to make two new garden beds for Alexis' MoonGarden. It's seems to be pretty good stuff but I also amended it with our own compost.

I LOVE the longer days! Makes it nice to get to the yard later in the day!

I have yet to visit Hart's Farm (located in Dennisport) - but still I am not sure I will buy anything other then bareroot plants before May. I don't trust the weather. I think I will call Mahoney's thought because two Flower Shows ago they had orange Rhodendrums!!! I thought they would be different in the yard!

My mission is finding a gravely for the lot line so I can get up all the weeds and unwanted brush to plant some shrubs and plants.

Have a GREAT weekend all!
Chantel :-)

o

Don't worry about the show Betsy, You didn't miss much. I was glad to go because I sooo needed to see something bloom but there wasn't much. I think I saw a total of 2 peonies and neither were fragrant. No lilacs this year either. I did go during a major snowstorm though and the crowds weren't there. First trip to the cape today and worried about what looked like a lot of tree damage along Rt. 25. Hope it's just early, and not he caterpillars or the bad winter.

o

hello everyone I am new to this site how exciting my first gardening site!! I am looking for wild flowers or native flowers on the cape that I could pick for my wedding reception for Sept 11.. I want to stay with the natural Cape Cod theme that I am using . My reception is on the beach with lobster .. What flowers will still be in bloom in Sept. I need some advice and help figuring out where I can find and pick some really pretty flowers

o

jenjul, I hate to put a damper on your enthusiasm but please be careful about picking wildflowers. If people pick the wildflowers then the seed heads aren't there to keep the flower population going. Maybe, you've even seen highway signs reading, "Wildflower Area - No mowing until after Sept. 15" or something similar...this is again so that the flowers can reseed for next year. Many are annual which means they must reseed every year. In many areas, picking wildflowers is also illegal. Also, please be certain you have the owner's permission if you are picking on private property. A local florist should be able to help you obtain local flowers grown for commercial use. Congratulations on your wedding! I'm sure you'll locate a source for flowers that will be beautiful.

o

Thank you for your feedback !! Obviously I wouldn't pick wildflowers that were scarce or in danger of not reseeding .. But with my experiences of course if I found an area that you could pick wildflowers I would reseed them next year.. Plus I only need enough for 8 tables so we are not talking about depleting the population here! Plus with my experiences with wild flowers they spead like crazy!! Of Course I wouldn't pick them off of someones property .. I was looking for a few great spots to pick a little from here and a little from there!! I am actually looking for a couple of small bunches of beach heather and pussy willows and maybe some daisy's thats it!! I am still going through a local florist for the bulk of my flowers I just thought it would be a nice touch to add some natural cape cod flowers ..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here