Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Everyone OK?

Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 8:04

We got through yesterday, with 1.5" of rain and wind gusts to 37. High tide last night brought the water up just 2" short of the top of the bulkhead. We lucked out. 50 miles to the west, Central Park in NYC got 7.5" of rain.

Now, with two hours to go until high tide, the bulkhead had been topped and the water is 2' up into the back yard.

So far, the only plant material to be soaked is lawn and a clump of 5 'Black Knight' Buddleia. It'll be interesting to see if they survive the saltwater.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everyone OK?

I have standing water on my lawn,that's about it. Yesterday was bad driving around LI. Flooding on 25A, Commack Rd, Oceanparkway.

o

I see you both live on LI, we had a bad day Monday morning. I was hoping one of you might be able to help me. Our yard flooded and I had fresh top soil in all my beds. Am I going to have any problems planting now that my beds have been soaked with salt water? I was hoping I would be able to plant some of my bulbs this weekend, but not sure if I should do anything else to the soil, I do have mircle grow garden soil that I planning on mixing in. Thanks for your help.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 16:49

septgrl8..How much rain did you get after the saltwater receded? That's a key question, because fresh rainwater will wash the salt right out and down, leaving the surface several inches free of it.

If you didn't get lots, like 2" or more after the saltwater receded, then get your sprinklers out and soak the beds thoroughly, like for hours.

o

Thanks for helping me out Donn. I don't think we got too much rain after the salt water receded. I've been so worried about the canal rising again all week that I really haven't paid too much attention to the rain. I think I will soak those beds today and tomorow. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I'll get most of the salt water out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here