Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crushed shell for path

Posted by kayadog 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 05 at 9:11

Hi--

Does anyone know where in the Cape Ann Massachusetts area to get crushed shell for paving a path? I've called a lot of garden centers but none seem to have it.

Also, does the shell need to be bleached or washed? We live right on the harbor so rodents could be a problem if there are bits of clam leftover.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crushed shell for path

I worked with a fellow from gloucester that did just that. A sea shell driveway. I tried looking him up to no avail. But I did fing this interesting report.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/victorygarden/victorygardens/ourgarden/suburban_makeover2/
Perhaps you could hunt these poeple down and get the source of the oyster shell. I was surprised to see that they compact it down over stone dust.
Howie

o

we are in california sn looking for a vendor for crushed shell. did anyone ever find one?

o

My father trucks crushed shells from Rhode Island all over New England and has even traveled to Long Island NY, and New Jersey.

If you are still interested please let me know and I'll have him contact you.

The shells are actually steamed opened and cleaned, so they smell like the beach, but not of dead seafood. The smell may attract animals, but there is nothing for them to eat.

We just installed a crushed shell driveway at our lake cottage in NH this weekend, looks amazing!

o

to kitty_loves_organic, who posted on the crushed shell for path postings on June 16 2008: I am interested in a truck load of crushed shells for delivery in Brooklyn. I checked the box that says you can email me. Please do. Thnaks!

o

To kitty_loves_organic. Would like to hear how to get in touch with your father, who apparently is a source for crushed shells to be used for paving, etc. I live on the ocean in a community north of Boston and have been looking for a source of these for some time. Would like to learn of minimum quantities and pricing.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

o

I'm interested in buying crushed shells for my driveway. I need 8-10 yards - I live in Huntington, NY (Long Island) - thank you
jenny

Here is a link that might be useful: jennyny

o

has anyone heard from kitty loves organic? Has anyone been able to contact a person or business that sells crushed shells in the CT, MA, RI area?

thank you in advance
jenny
jlkutner@optonline.net

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 11:08

Jenny,

maybe try wholesale shellfish suppliers here on the Island?

If they don't have shells for sale they might still be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.captreeclam.com/
http://www.braunseafood.com/
http://www.pineislandoysters.com/contact_us.html
http://kandbseafood.com/

These are the ones I know. There are lots more.

o

Some sand and gravel places right along the coast sell crushed shell. It is off color and a little smelly when it arrives. It needs to be spread in bright sun for a few days to clean up. It always looks a little darker after a rain until the sun hits it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian River

o

We're doing a shell driveway (in Newport, RI) and I believe our contractor is getting it through the folks who are doing our hardscape - I believe I've read that RI produces most of the clam shells used for paving so I'd think you'd be able to get your hands on some in MA. I'd check with landscape companies - if they can't get it themselves I'm sure they'll tell you where to go.

o

Trying to find a supplier that can deliver to new York. Any information greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

o

If anyone still needs crushed shells. we can get them
sandrskimmer@optonline.net

o

You might try contacting landscape designers who work exclusively on the coast. out here in NJ, i see tons of beach houses-large and small-with driveways and yard sections in shell. I don't know if it's expensive but anyone living on the shoreline usually has money.

o

• Posted by pabrocb 9b Sarasota/7 cape c (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 14:39

It's all over Cape Cod. Two things: one it helps to apply the shells in December. Any smell is gone by summer. The second is that elements break down (calcium?) and encourage weed and grass growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here