Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Crepe Myrtles on LI?

Posted by gabrielledeveau z7NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 11:21

Hello & Happy Spring ... just got two crepe myrtles ... white chocolate ( white flowers with red and green leaves ) and catawba ( purple flowers with green leaves ) ... has anyone had good or bad experience growing crepe myrtles on south shore of LI and what are your pruning practices? Also when do they go outside temp wise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Crepe Myrtles on LI?

• Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 21:10

Crepe Myrtle do very well on the south shore of L.I. There are two types of Crepe Myrtle- the warm weather (southern)type which does not do well here and the hardy variety such as Siox which does. Crepe Myrtles are deciduous trees/shrubs and are best planted in early Spring (end of April to May) or in the Fall. Crepe Myrtle may be pruned when dormant in late winter or early spring before the buds become green. They really need no or very little pruning but removing spent blooms can help encourage more blooms in summer. They like full sun so plant them in a spot which gets 6 or more hours of sunlight daily. Check and make sure you have the hardy varieties which are suitable for growing on L.I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here