Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non-blooming forsythia

Posted by GaetanoL 10570 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 15:12

I have a rather large forsythia bush on my property. The buds on the longest shoots did not produce flowers this year. The buds on these branches produced leaves directly. What would cause this to happen? What can I do to make sure that the whole bush flowers next year?

Thanks
Guy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non-blooming forsythia

• Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 21:23

The shrub may be in need of some rejuvinating. After flowering cut back the older canes on the shrub to encourage new young growth. You may also want to give it a 5-10-5 organic food (high phosphorus) in early spring before flowering time although the rejuvinating should do the trick.

o

Manytimes forsythia puts out new growth. Long tall branches that grow way beyond the shape of the bush. These do tend not to bloom. And its best to tru]im them down to rest of the length of the shrub and they will bloom next year.

o

Most likely the long branches are new growth from the last growing season. Forsythia's bloom on branches that are 2 years old or older and will not produce bloom, only leaves, on the new shoots. To keep this natural cycle going it is best to remove back to the ground a couple of the oldest stems each year (once the plant is well established) which allows the plant to produce new stems(deciduous shrubs renew their selves by producing suckers) which continues the cycle. It is also wise not to allow all new suckers to remain but to choose a few strong growers coming from the ground and cut the rest. Forsythia's should be pruned after they have finished blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here