Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bearded iris wont bloom

Posted by hollyhock43 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 20:13

Hi all...I have a almost 3 yr old bearded iris that bloomed the first year then no blooms the second year...What could have happened?...There are other periennials near it, do irises need alot of "space" to bloom?...Im keeping my fingers closed this year...An identical iris planted in a less sunny, less protected windy spot has actually bloomed for the past two years (they were each bought and planted at the same time) so I dont know what gives??....Any ideas or suggestions?...should I move it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bearded iris wont bloom

Did you uncover the backs of the roots? they like to get a chill in the winter, in the fall go around and uncover the first section or so just under the base of the leaves.
Also, the year you put it in, did it come from the ground or a pot?
I have found the potted plants blossom, mostly because they are root bound, the other thing I have heard about Irises is they have to have 5 leaves usually before they will bloom, if it was from a pot it may be putting energy into stretching out a little, try uncovering in the fall though.

o

Many iris will skip a year when 1st planted, so if it bloomed the 1st year, it might (not always) skip the 2nd year & then bloom each yeaf after that. Or they may skip the 1st year, then bloom the 2nd year & so on. So it's not unusual that it skipped blooming the 2nd year, but by the 3rd year they should be blooming regularly (until you divide them, then you start over again at year 1).

o

Mine have not yet even peeked and they are established Irises.
Can't wait 'til they bloom! :-)

o

Surprise!....My iris is just peeking out of its shell...cant wait..Steph

o

Irises sure are finicky! I've heard that they don't like to be moved and are heavy feeders.

One of my iris groupings flowered profusely this year - 20 stems compared to 3 last year. I'd left that patch alone all year but fertilized them well.

My two other iris patches didn't do a thing, but I'd disrupted them quite a bit in the fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here