Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I planted my Tomatoes

Posted by naturalstuff Z6 / CT (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 8:26

I usually post in the veggies or Mater forum but just to let you CT and NorthEast people know, I planted mine 2 weeks ago and they are doing 100%.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I planted my Tomatoes

They look great, you've got a great head start.

o

naturalstuff, how is that that you are staking them? Appears you have a 2X3 running paralle on the ground with "rocks" for weight? How does that work Please explain?

o

I have found it doesn't generally gain me anything to set them out before june1; but you may be a bit more continental over west there - I'm on the vineyard. I read once that tomatoes will not grow vigorously until night-time temps stay at or above 65.

Have you grown them with that decorative wood mulch before?

o

I lost almost all of my tomatoes in a hail storm! Sunday, May 21 was nice and warm, so I decided to plant my home grown seedlings early. We picked up that IRT plastic from Fedco in Maine. The plants just got snuggled under their "blanket" when the hail smashed them down and froze them.

Now, I've seen hail before, but I had never seen clouds like the ones that roared through here. They were literally being pushed from the back by swirling rolls of cloud. Very ominous looking. It was a bad storm and spawned a very unusual (for New Hampshire!) TORNADO that flipped a truck over on the interstate. Anybody else see this?

Anyway, we bought new plants and staked them with 7 ft fenceposts from the local home store and string for a caged effect.

Trying Brandyboy for the first time.

o

That's a drag. I heard about that storm - thankfully it stayed away from here. However, until a couple days ago the weather has been bad for the warm-weather crops - they look haggard. I'm glad I kept most of the tomatoes under protection until recently.

The peas and lettuce and etc are loving it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here