Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
broom?

Posted by hollyhock43 z6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 15:40

Okay..Im still trying to figure out what to put in large sunny bare spot near fence bordering front/back yard, facing the driveway (confused yet?)..Ive ruled out crape myrtles, too iffy in this zone..Now Ive seen pictures of broom and love it...Ive heard its invasive..That may not be a problem since bare spot is large and covers a 7-9 foot area..Any thoughts and info on broom?...Many thanks again to all ..Steph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: broom?

When you say "broom", are you referring to the tall flowering shrub with pendulus branches, popular with yellow flowers?

Cytisus is quite popular around here at this time of year because it is flowering. Personally, I don't like it because of its floppiness. When it's upright, it's beautiful, but sometimes it looks awful. C. scoparius is invasive but I have a feeling you are considering C. X praecox which is a hybrid shrub.

o

I have C. X praecox (scotch broom)and am digging it up. It is near the driveway in full sun and did beautifully last year (planted in the spring). Now it looks awful because after being buried under all of the snow this past winter, many of the branches broke. I think that it was too delicate for the location. So, just a word of caution...don't plant it near where you would plow snow.

o

I don't know anything about broom but what about Canna Lilies? I love the selections of flower and foliage color. They would definitely do the job.

o

I personally woudl've never considered broom. Just looked plain to me with plain and weedy type yellow flowers. Untill I saw this one at a garden center. Cystius 'burkwoodi" The prettiest flowers, a graceful (I guess you could say slightly floppy) habit (not as invasive as the species which is really one of the main concerns) and pretty silvery foliage. It's probably still there. I thought about picking it up and think I should go back and get it! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: (prettier in person! type plant :) ) burkwoodi broom cystius

o

By now you have probably purchased or not your broom. if the garden center did not tell you it is a short lived plant which is why it sends out so many seeds. If you have one planted in a primary location you may consider in another two or three years planting a second one near by. Also in order to have a nice full shrub you should shear/prune. You may also want to consider it has a very distictive scent while in bloom...similar to boxwood. The how to is a little tricky for me to describe without a picture but I am sure you can find the info on line or in reference book. good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here