Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yikes!

Posted by Sailfish Boston, North (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 05 at 15:44

Realizing that bringing in soil and landscaping will take a bit longer than I figured I settled on doing some container planting. I ordered some Calla Lilly bulbs and went out and picked up some 2 foot diameter pots. I planted the bulbs in the pots and to my horror the squirrel is digging in the pots. Soil was tossed to the ground and several holes were present. I checked to see if the bulbs have been eaten but they look ok. It's out there again digging in the pot. Anybody have any experience with these buggers?
Howie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yikes!

maybe red pepper flakes sprinkled on top would help. or just make things more tasty!

o

My squirrels like to dig up tulips,oriental lillies,etc ... found feeding them on the other side of the yard with the birds keeps them busy and they forget about my flowers ... old bagels,bread,peanuts. The outside cats ... who I love dearly and just put up with their bad behavior are the worst ... digging in my beds and leaving holes all over and some even go to the bathroom right and top of the grass like dogs ... lazy things. Try putting old wire around your plants and soil or mulch on top of the wire. Ah Nature and all God's little creatures!

o

How thick do the stems of Callas get? I've put chicken wire (sold as "poultry netting" these days, if you can believe it) in all my spring bulb pots and they grow right through the holes. You would probably need larger holes to allow the stems and leaves but not allow Mr. Squirrel a meal.

Also, they're attracted to fresh soil. So if you put a layer of chicken wire down, put some dirt and mulch on top. Sometimes the mulch fools them, sometimes it don't. Like amyg said too, red pepper (I use cheyanne) is a good deterrent too.

o

I came home to find the squirrel half burried in the pot de-fleaing it'self it seemed. I had to pick up the bulbs off the ground and replant them. He hasn't been back since. And I thought I had trouble with squirrels eating all the woodpeckers suet in one sitting!

o

Well, I shouldn't talk - but Repel (formerly Get Off My Garden!)has done the trick for 1) skunks - they defied the razor-sharp rose canes I earth-stapled by the fence; 2) cats - ooooo, a new bed, let's rock! and hopefully 3) squirrels, which flip things in the air, I swear. I think it's totally non-toxic. It's a 'hydrogel', smells of lemon-lime strongly for a bit.

Squirrels love disturbed earth, BTW. Guess they think some other fuzzy rat has left an acorn, or something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here