Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any one else get coastal flooding last night?

Posted by spammypam 7 coastal MA (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 18:49

The ocean came up over the sea wall last night and pounded a long border bed and a good portion of the lawn. Some plants are totally destroyed...uprooted completely. I suspect other will just die a slow salty death. Lots of debris left in the yard that will take quite some time to clean up. And the bads news is that it will probably flood again tonight.

I had been looking forward to the holiday weekend with thoughts of sunny days filled with leisurely planting annuals, tomatoes and herbs, croquet on the what was a nice lawn, bar-b-ques, etc. Instead I will rake and shovel out the sand and debris and buy soil and compost for the now naked beds, while getting wet in the cold rain showers!

Any thoughts on how to treat flooded areas? Would gypsum and lime help? While this flooding has happend in the winter when everything is dormant, it has never happend in this time of year with everything growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any one else get coastal flooding last night?

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 05 at 5:57

The canal was right up to the edge of the boardwalk at high tide last night, but didn't come over.

If you are getting as much rain as we are, it does a good job of rinsing excess salt away. A hose and/or sprinkler will help, too.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here