Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
June flowers for wedding

Posted by lindalouise MA (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 22:32

I am an Arizona gardener and teacher. One of our new teachers is from Glouchester MA. She is getting married next June in Glouchester and wants to know what plants she can plant this summer - so she has flowers next June for her outdoor wedding. Any suggestions??
Here in AZ my strawberries have just about finished, ate first tomato yesterday and my Sweet Peas have lasted longer than ususal. It has been unseasonably cool here all Spring - only in the 80s this week.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: June flowers for wedding

Tell her, congrats and best wishes! What will be blooming depends on 2 things, mainly: exactly when (early? late?) in June is the wedding, and how close (100 ft.? a mile?) her yard is to the ocean.

Beginning of June: irises, peonies, aquilegia, ajuga, poppies. Later June: most summer perennials except for mums and hydrangeas.

That's oversimplifying it. If her yard is oceanfront she should figure a week later, for everything.

There's a terrific book she might look into:
"Gardening With Perennials Month by Month" by Joseph Hudak, reprinted 1996 by Timber Press, Portland OR. Mr. Hudak lived in the Boston area and so his research and writing works very well for this area.

Each month gets a chapter with detailed descriptions and photos, plus at the beginning of the chapter there's a plant list classified by colors. June has at least 300 plants!

o

Thank you for your response. I was able to get a used copy of the book you suggested thru Amazon.com. Where she is having the wedding is very close to the water and her house is in the center of town. When she leaves Phoenix this summer (and that won't be any too soon - we are hitting triple digits this weekend) she will start planting some of the suggested plants. Thank you again for your help!
linda

o

Hmmmm. June. Bulbs are also reliable. But which bloom most reliably in June? Most dianthus bloom reliably in June in NJ but I'm not sure about MA. Since they start in NJ in May they may well be blooming in MA in June as well. Same goes for rose campion and many true roses (perfect for weddings). Try also posting on the Mass. forum. :)

o

Stella D'Orea daylilys are pretty reliable. Mine's been blooming for a few weeks [Long Island]. Much depends on how many hours of sunlight the area gets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here