Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nutrient solutions for long term health in sand

Posted by msuarez07 (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 22:45

Hi everyone. Sorry to be a California interloper, but I need some advice on CT beach gardening.

My husband's family has a house on the beach in Old Saybrook, and since they know I like plants, they asked me to landscape part of it last year. When I say on the beach I mean literally that most of what I planted went into almost pure sand. I picked out some good hopefuls and a lot of CT natives (Beach Plums, asters, seaside goldenrod, etc.). Last fall I planted all of it with a bit of seaweed compost (purchased at a local nursery, not homemade) in each hole, watered it and hoped nature would help me out(no one would be back to do anything until May) It's May now and most of it seems to have survived the first winter (yeah!)

My question is, what do you guys find to be the best way to make sure sand plantings in that area get enough nutrients in the long term? Should I put in some slow release ferts? More compost every year?

Sorry for the VERY generic question; although I garden a lot out here in CA, it is not anywhere near a beach, so this sand idea is a whole new thing :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Maria

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nutrient solutions for long term health in sand

Maria, I just came upon your thread, and felt sorry that you hadn't received any information.
My garden is all-sand, and what I have been doing is adding more compost every year. Slow release ferts couldn't hurt either. But mainly I just keep adding compost. For my veggie garden I plant a cover-crop over the winter.
Sounds like you're already on the right track by using CT beach natives.
BTW, I'm a CA transplant too, who had never gardened in sand (before!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here