Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cape Codders?

Posted by CapeHeart z7ccMA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 04 at 1:49

Hello Friends

How did your gardens fair this harsh winter? What did you lose? What is doing well and what is blooming?

Goals for this season? Favorite nurseries and good deals?
Anyone enjoy the Garden Junk forum and visit the local town's treasure chests? Do you also use the town dump's free compost?
How about raised gardening?

"Happy Gardening!"
Chantel :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cape Codders?

Hi Chantel,
I lost all my roses in Dennisport this winter. I wonder what the bunnies will eat this year. I also lost correopsis and Hellipsis and one varigated lace-cap hydrangea.
I am one of those summer residents you native cape-codders probably can't stand- (little closet- walk to the beach).
Lilies are looking good- I may be winning the lily beetle battle and I have lots of hosta doing well. Don't have a favorite nursery although Harts is the closest and their annuals always look good. Perrenials I usually bring from home since the proces out in Metrowest are better but I would be interested in any tips you have for good prices, etc. I'll drive anywhere for plants..
Mary D.

o

Hi Cape Codders,
I'm working on becoming a fulltimer, but right now I live near Boston part of the time. Everything I lost over the winter was new last year. Guess I'm lucky that I just started this spring with roses.
I like the Depot Street Nursery in West Barnstable for basic things. They have a much smaller selection than a lot of the larger nurseries, but their prices seem better than most. I just found them through a little ad in the classifieds of the Cape Cod Times. It's hard to find so I don't know how they stay in business--maybe word of mouth.
Can anyone recommend a nursery that carries unusual plants?

o

Hello! Great to hear from some gardeners on the Cape!

Our lilies were the best this year! Not much on the lilacs though my neighbor's were glorious!!! The cranesbill and hostas are doing quite well - I hope no slug problem this year. Everything now is in the bud form but our Heart 'n' Soul Roses are blooming their hearts out! Gorgeous! We lost about 6 Roses :-( Now dealing with aphids.

We are trying our best to garden organically.

I am agree Mary - Hart Farm is the best - I have been a patron for 20 years. More so in '89 when we bought our house. No matter what we buy from Hart Farm it grows!!! Not to mentioned its a family owned and operated business with great help and advice. We even buy our fall plantings and Holiday wreaths and Christmas Trees every year from them - a Tradition!

As for other nurseries -located on Depot and Rte 28 in Main Street Harwich called New England Gardens another family garden center is wonderful. Crockers in Brewster, Country Gardens in West Hyannis. K-mart use to be a great place to pick up some cheapies in good condition for the past few years it keeps getting worse- nothing, no selection and plants that don't look good. For Lavendar and gifts - Cape Cod Lavendar Farm in Harwich Center is a beautiful place to visit and pick up special gifts. Oh and there is a wonderful woman who grows some really nice plants reasonable across from Hart Farm - it used to be Matts.

I will have to check out the Depot Street Nursery - I haven't heard of it. But I usually shop on this end of the Cape.

What types of plants are you looking for waitforspring?

"Happy Gardening All!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Links to Nurseries on the Cape

o

Hello,
I live in Harwich, and also enjoy all of the nurseries that you've mentioned. I also love snow's garden center in Orleans, as well as The Farm in Orleans. The prices on perennials, and just about everything else at The Farm are great! Their gallon perennials are mostly 4 for 20 dollars and they are very healthy. Did anyone have a terrible catapillar problem this year? Also, could anyone give any suggestions on where to find nice garden art, statuary, and fountains on the cape or off. Thanks

o

Hi Chantel,
I'm not looking for anything in particular. Just like to try something I've never heard of every year. Sometimes I'm disappointed and sometimes I get something great. Every year in May I visit family in the DC area and go to a big plant sale and always take a chance on something--just love surprises.

o

Hi Renee

How could I forget Snows! Hmmm where is The Farm in Orleans?

My daughter and I are making garden art this year. My younger two children banned me from yard sales and The Treasure Chest but we decided our ban is now over! LOL ! Anyway we find it fun and relaxing. But I too would like to find some inexpensive statuary and fountains - they are so expensive. But for Mom's day my younger daughter got a me a beautiful fountain from Job Lot that I have on our porch - very lovely! :-) We often buy inexpensive garden art for the local places, that I am sure you have visited like Christmas Tree Shop, JL, etc.

Crocker Nurseries - Annuals & Rose Sale - July 5 -18th

Catapillars are EVERYWHERE!!!! Did you see the article in the Times? www.capecodonline.com

We have the green worms that fly down from the trees on webs, the big green curley worms and also the grey furry ones!!!! UGH!!!

Have a good day all!

o

Hi chantel,
The farm is in Orleans, if you turn right out of the parking lot of Snows, and drive about 1/4 of a mile you will see a dirt driveway and a sign that says The Farm, it is owned and operated by the Richardson family(husband, wife, sons, daughter., it's a really great place with lots of stuff cheap! Let me know if you come up with any bargains for plants, gardening stuff etc, and I will do the same for you. Thanks

o

Hi There All

Melanie got me thinking - any one with horses or cows trying to get rid of manure? ;-)

o

Hi,

I live in Sandwich and mostly shop Country Garden in Hyannis or Mahoney's in Falmouth. I'll have to try Depot St.. There is also Agway on 6A in Sandwich.

There is a statuary on Route 130 in Sandwich called Stone Garden. They also have nice plants and a great little shop.

LanieD

o

My summer home is in Wellfleet.

I lost my butterfly bush this winter and I was shocked; it seemed so hardy! I am debating whether to get another; too painful that I lost it.

Angel face roses are doing really well; and the Autumn clematis are huge this year with extensive leaf growth.

I like Agway in Orleans for deals. Crockets (name?) in Dennis for unusual plants.

o

HUMID!!! UGH!!!! I hope we get a break soon!!!

o

Great sale at Pondscapes in Cataumet - 50% off perennials and 25% off shrubs and trees. I picked up a 4 or 5' Franklinia altahama for under $30 and a gallon-sized darmera peltata,
both really healthy looking.

o

I saw their ad DTD but I have never been there - aren't they new?

Any other sales out there anyone knows of ? Looking for shrubs and roses.

Thanks

o

Pondscapes is new. They have pond plants but also garden perennials, especially unusual ones. Also roses, trees and shrubs.
I'm still coveting a stewartia they've got, wonder if it's still there.

o

DTD - can I get there by using 6A? I don't know where I put their ad, I believe it came in the PennySaver. It's just easier traveling 6A during this time of the year but maybe I will wait until after Labor Day.

o

Take 6a and just keep going straight, under the Sagamore bridge to the rotary at the Bourne bridge, and get on 28 (MacArthur Blvd) towards Falmouth. There's a back way that cuts out the rotary altogether, using Shore Road, but it's too complicated to explain.

At the Otis rotary, take the first right off 28 - the start of Rt 28a is right there at the light - you can see this from 28 once you're in the rotary. Go left onto 28a, Pondscape is on the right a couple of miles down the road.

I get there from the other direction, so I'm not sure how far it is from the start of 28a, actually.

Please buy everything, so I won't be so tempted this weekend.

o

Hello all Cape Cod Gardeners! I am new to gardening...started 2 years ago, but am making up for lost time. I'm considering the purchase of some doublefile viburnum this year.Mariesii, Wantanabe or Shasta. Anyone out there have any luck with these on the Cape? I dearly love my hydrangea..Nikko Blue, Blue Wave, but want something else. Also...anybody want to pair up and take a trip to New Bedford to Haskell's with me?

o

Hi Betsy

Welcome to Cape Cod!!! :-) I garden with my children and nephew but mainly with my oldest daughter Alexis who LOVES Roses!

Tell us about Haskells? I might be able to do a spring trip! :-) Our Shasta Daiseys I had to replant in some areas as the two very cold previous winters did them in otherwise they are fine. This year it's warmer and lets hope it stays that way. Even though I am not fond of the snow (only on Christmas Eve) the snow does help keep them and a number of plants from passing on. Our plants in our garden look good even though I didn't finish winter protecting. Today however though warm it's very windy!

o

Hi Chantel!

Haskell's Horticulture in New Bedford is the work of Allen Haskell who died in December. World-renowned for his topiary and knack for planting compatible groups of shrubs,roses and perennials. Do a search on GW and read some of the comments about Mr. Haskell. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to meet him, but you can believe I'll be going to New Bedford in the Spring to see what his operation is offering. I was out yesterday trimming back the ornamental grasses and the hydrangeas. Too bad everything in my new (2004) perennial bed is heaving. Just the nature of things here on Cape. Freeze, thaw...Freeze,thaw. SIGH...Good to hear from you.

Betsy

o

Betsy keep me posted when you go - I don't do well driving over the bridge but if you drive I will buy lunch? Would that be okay? - I could meet you half way - I am in the midlower Cape area?

Also anyone going to the Boston Flower Show this year - usually in March I believe - we love going! I will have to check the page and see the dates/times and the theme. We take the P&B up.

Does anyone attend the local one in Barnstable? We should try to meet at that one and introduce ourselves - lunch and flowers - nice! :-)

How is everyone doing through the winter - Alexis and I are going through our usual "come on winter get over and let's get to spring" of course CC really doesn't have a true spring but I would take 50 degree days and some SUN!!!!!! :-)

Anyone doing Winter Composting?

o

Good morning: I am familiar with Haskell's. There are some very lovely plants there - he's also known for his Hosta's, so don't forget to check those out in the spring. We shall miss his unique touch around the Southcoast area for sure.

Besides the Boston Flower Show - which I did attend last year, also try the R.I. FLOWER SHOW to be held February 17 through the 20 at the Convention Center. I have also attended this as well and it is fabulous!

Luvherbz

o

I am writing a book on seashore gardening for Timber Press. I am interested in any stories, advice to other seashore gardeners re: pleasures/problems you have with winds, sand, salt. Any unusual ways you have to overcome these seashore problems? Thanks for your help.

o

I just received a book for Christmas entitled: THE CAPE COD GARDEN BY: C. L. Fornari. You might want to refer to that as well - she also is on a talk radio program on SAturday mornings: FM 95.1 . She also has written a rather small book/primer type thing called: Gardening in sandy soil. I have found both these publications to be helpful in gardening here along the coast. Good luck!

Luvherbz

o

Hi All!

Will we have a Spring??? I saw some bulbs coming up but now it snowed so who knows! I am tired of it!

So whats on everyone garden list, things-to-do, projects, etc this year?

Oh and its the Annual Sale at Crockers in Brewster
"March 25-27
Perennial Plant Sale & Easter Weekend!
All perennials and early annuals on sale! Start collecting Hydrangea dollars! "

I may check them out but I don't usualy plant until the end of May. We do start seeds inside. I think I will pick some up at Job Lot this weekend. My daughter got two arbors on sale online - I have to put them together - they will be nice for Roses and Clematis. :-)

I guess our tenative goals are - to put up a fence and arbors and fix-up the old beds and add a new side garden. :-) We haven't drawn up plans yet.

Wishing for warm air and sun!!!! :-)

o

ENJOY the Weekend All - it suppose to be nice - get out and spend some time in the spring air! :-)

o
RE: Cape Codders? PS

Oh BTW - great weekend for collecting seaweed and shells - well I hope! LOL! :-)

o

Beautiful weekend -- it was wonderful to get out and get my hands dirty at last!

Luvherbz!

o

Every muscle and bone in my body hurts from all the raking, etc I did in the garden this weekend. But it was so wonderful to see so many things up and growing...it appears I lost very little (as opposed to last year!). Have got 2 tulips blooming, lots of daffodils, and some hellebores...and one lonely pulmonaria!

o
Looking for late May specialties

Hi,
I live and garden professionally on Nantucket and am looking for some help finding tulips or other specialty "Knock your sox off" plants for containers that will be in bloom for late May. I am doing a special installation for the Wine Festival and am excited to find some great off-island stock, but am not so familiar with much beyond Hyannis :) I read some of the previous postings and will take those to heart...any other suggestions?
Happy Spring!

o

HI Biscottirocket

Try Country Gardens in Hyannis - West Main Street or Mahoney's in Falmouth. They may have some really nice plants that are different and showey for your Festival. Also keep check with CC papers as there are often plant sales from various organizations around the Cape. These plants you could put in to nice inexpensive but pretty containers found at Job Lot or the Christmas Tree Shop. If you have a day to spend on the Cape the little places often have some really beautiful plants as well. Do you ever mail-order plants? Some times that can be hard as you can't be sure what you are getting but worth checking into. I just wonder if they will arrive in time and also you budget.

:-)

o

Hi CapeHeart,
Thanks for the tip. I have never been to either of those places, surprisingly. I did hear that Country Gardens was nice, so I will definitely check it out. I do a lot of mail order gardening, especially bulbs and clematis, and I have been expirimenting with a few online perennial nurseries, but only when the plant itself is more important than how it looks upon arrival. Do you think the Cape Cod Times is the best paper to get for plant sales info?

o

Hi Biscottirocket

Check out yes the CCTimes www.capecodonline.com
The Cape & Island town newspapers www.townonline.com
and the PennySaver. The community plant, garden, church, COA festivals should be listed. I have to say though these plants go fast! So if you are attending one of these plant sales get there super early.

As for a nursery my favorite is a family garden center - Hart Farm in Dennisport. Reliable, knowlegable friendly caring staff. I have been going to their garden center ever since we bought our home in '89. I don't think I ever had a plant die from them. Our first Rose a Tiffany we got back in '95 is still going. I hope this year it looks as good as it did last year. I have to say my Roses from them do better then some of the mail order. I do however experiment with the mail order companies. So if you are on the Cape - spend a morning at Hart Farm then go across the street for lunch at Clancy's! You might want to call ahead if you are looking for specific plants and prices before you venture out if time and budget are factors.

A good route would be Evergreen in South Dennis, Hart Farm in Dennisport and then New England Gardens (a wonderful Dad & Daughter business) in South Harwich.

Good Luck and post some pics of the festival!

o

Hi all fellow CApe Codder, I live in Yarmouth year around...I didnt lose too much over the winter...An oriental lily and one coreopsis but thats it..Everthing else, shasta daisies, 3 year delphinium, hollyhocks, peonies, coneflower, red yarrow, salvia, remaining coreopisis, foxglove and lupine look pretty healthy. My favorite plant store is Crocker Nurseries in Brewster..They have big, hardened healthy plants that tend to bloom the first yr you get them, even peonies...They can more a little more expensive but Ive never lost a plant there yet, so its seems to be a good investment...Its a big nursery with some unusual perennials, shrubs and trees...Hart Farm in Dennisport has good large periennials such as Bearded Iris

o

Garden Radio Shows
Early Am - Sat & Sun on WXTK if anyone is interest in some garden tips. Sat is local and Sun it's Paul Parent.

Did anyone prune today? This has been the advice of many. When it cleared up after the rain - I took a better look around and prune. It looks like we may have lost a number of Roses but I usually don't decide that until May. Also it was said to start fertilizing now after this weekend rain. I may some time this week.
We try to be more organic, but I do use some commerical brands.

Have a good week all!

Sat AM, April 30th - Harwich Residents free tree seedlings at the Community Center.

o

oh yes, WXTK (FM 95.1)- local garden talk show host C.L. Fornari.
She's the best and quite delightful to listen to.

I find lots of plants at R.F. Morse in Wareham, Rt. 28, off cape though.

Luvherbz

o

Whoops, I lied!..The Oriental Lily didnt die, its just now poking its stem out of the ground...Its been really slow to start things this year.I like CL Fornari's talks at Country Gardens in Hyannis...She also recently did a lecture on perennial gardens at the Cape Museum of Fine Arts. ..I also have her gardening book, which has been a very helpful reference and resource for me for me...Steph

o

First trip down to check out my cottage today. Roses came through this year, but new septic system Engineers were successful at taking out my entire side garden including dumping my 4 year old Jackmani that was in a big bucket so as to escape these winter workers who promised that i didn't need to move anything. Also a Pine took out my arbor but the plants climbing up survived. Oh well, The good news is- I can plan a new garden. Wonder if Hart's is open....

o

Yep, Harts is open, if the weather is decent I hope to visit them on Sunday! ;-)

Has anyone visited Roseland in Acushnet?

Anyone interested in hostas and I believe irses? My friend is clearing out parts of her yard and has some to give away.
Let me know, I will put you in touch with her.

o

CapeHeart: I am familiar with Roseland's Nursery in Acushnet, though it's not very big but a very knowledgable personell on hand. I don't know if they have a web site or not, so you may want to check before you head down here.
Have you tried Haskell's in New Bedford? Lots of unusual plants, especially Hosta's.

Good luck -- Luvherbz

o

Yes Roseland has a website- some of the Rose Forum members from MA have talked aboiut this Nursery - all positive feedback.

No I haven't been to Haskell's but should. I think a friend and I are going to explore before the tourists all arrive.

o

Wonderful Roses at Crockers! Healthy and just lovely! A nice visit even though the air was cool and windy! Also picked up some CockleDoodleDoo which I friend uses and loves

Frost tonight! UGH!!! When will it end!?!

o

Agway - Sale going on.
Roses 25% off. I got three - two Bolero and on Knock Out. Still looking for Pink Knock Out.

Got in plants and weed/feed the yard before the rain.

Week of rain - we may need an Ark!!! I thought it was "April Showers Bring May Flowers?" Hmmmm "May Showers Bring June Flowers???!!!"

Waiting for the Iris to bloom!

Have a good one! :-)

o

Hi Capeheart..Im waiting for my irises to bloom too...Hope the strong winds dont knock over the bearded irises..Steph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here