Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seaglass Help!

Posted by Leasa 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 7:44

Hi,

I posted this on Garden Junk and then remembered there is a forum just for us who live on the coast!!!

So, anyone got any more suggestions on what to do with all this seaglass?

Leasa,
Eastport, ME

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaglass ??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seaglass Help!

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 10:35

It works and looks great as mulch in potted plants.

o

Thanks! I was thinking of doing a pot of tomatoes maybe I will sprinkel the top with the glass...

o

• Posted by clfo z7 with luck (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 19:59

You can get lamps with clear glass bases (Christmas Tree Shops often carry them) and fill the base with sea glass. I also have seen candle holders that are clear acrylic containers that you can fill with sea glass.

Use them in mosaics on birdbaths, stepping stones (put into concrete) and table tops.

I had a welder make a table frame and I had two pieces of plate glass cut to fit into the top. I have one placed on the bottom, and then put in a black-painted wood spacer so that the top piece of glass fits on the top and there is a space in between the glass that can be filled with beach glass.

Use beachglass in tall glass vases to hold stems of cut flowers, or bulbs of paperwhites. Fill clear glass christmas tree balls with beachglass. Use beachglass in bowls and squirt essential oils on the pieces for beach glass potpourri. Glue pieces of beachglass around the top of the walls to make a "border" in your bathroom or kitchen. Bury it in your yard for some future archeologist to puzzle over.

o

I know this is a garden forum but I love love love seaglass used in jewellery (as per gardening imbedded in concrete pots or paths etc. is also a good idea... the mulch idea also works :) ). But I love them mixed with shells in those glass lamps and imbedded into picture frames.... oh as I said I LOVE them in jewellery. So PRETTY! and SUMMERY!. It's pretty simple but take some stained glass type work (easy) . Just take a sodering iron and some (the silver color foil looks/works best) stain glass foiil. Well how to explain... oh.... just wrap the foil around the edge of the whole piece of glass. To make a sort of "frame". Take the sodering iron and gently melt foil to "glue" on. Do with each piece. Then soder on those small jewellery rings by melting a bid of the sodered foil and sticking the ring in. Next hook an extra ring to each ring. and hook these all together to form the bracelet. Soder on a "clasp" finding to each end. (to fasten) and wear as a bracelet. So cute! makes nice gifts. Go for a pretty penny too retail. Here's a pic to of what I'm talking about. :) Pity I don't think I see as much seaglass as I used to. :)
You could also I suppose used coiled wire like this one:
http://massbaytrading.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/JSS1002.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

o

I thought you folks might like to see what I used some of the nicer seaglass for...It was fun!

Leasa

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaglass

o

Wow Leasa.. did you collect that all yourself? if so, where? You could always send any "leftovers" to me.... LOL, LOL.

A friend of mine and I collect sea glass whenever we are at the beach.. we have used it to enhance pictures frames and mirrors and they come out nice ( I don't have a digital camera).... our next venture was to try to make some necklaces as you have with them... Nice job.... keep up the good work...

Luvherbz!

o

Yes, the photo of all the glass on the table was one days haul!!!! That was after a storm in the spring. As the summer progressed on the picking got much smaller. Maybe I'll go out tomorrow and see what is there....
Leasa
Eastport, Maine

o

Leasa... wow! You must be near a beautiful spot... I'm on the southcoast of MA.... Maine is a lovely state! Keep on looking and collecting... it's fun, isn't it?

Luvherbz

o

WOW,

That seaglass is pretty and everyone had some great things done (jewlery) or ideals of what to do with it. I wasn't sure what seaglass was, I never found any. There may be some here but I never saw it. Any way, thanks everyone...I learned something new. Next time I go to the coast I'll look for some.

Sue

o

My younger son is a big time collector of just about everything, and one of his collections is glass from the local beaches. One day about seven years ago I had a good look at his beach glass, and was so amazed at the beauty of it, I started using it for different art and design projects. Now I make my living doing this! I no longer use his glass (much) though, as I need a lot.

Here is a picture of a special lamp with real beach glass. The glass came from a customer out in Newfoundland who sent me a large amount for a different project, and let me keep the leftovers. I made this with what was left:

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/timo43/g.jpg

And here is a very special project I started the New Year with, having resolved to make a very fine piece right off:

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/timo43/DeluxeA.jpg

Half my job (at least!) is dreaming up new ideas to make. After eight years, I am still thinking of new projects. I'm sure you will think of some wonderful uses for you collection. Good luck! Tim

o
seaglass revisited - finally!

Hey folks: It's been a long time since anyone has posted here... Just wanted you to know that there will be a SEAGLASS "festival" on October 9 and 10th 2010 in Hyannis.. Check out the National Seaglass Association's web site for details... YEH!!!

Luvherbz

o

SEAGLASS FESTIVAL: Saturday October 9, 2010:
Oh my gosh.. had no idea that SOOOOOO many folks are "into" seaglass.. went to the seaglass festival and it was WONDERFUL! Actually, today.. Sunday.. went hunting for some!!! I think this was quite a successful festival indeed and I got some wonderful ideas! All the vendors were so artistic and creative! Hope others got a chance to go... it was lot of fun! Luvherbz

o

This particular forum has not been very active.. however, I encourage you to take a stroll along the shoreline, should you be so lucky to live near one... My friend and I will begin to walk the shoreline in southcoast MA.. looking for some seaglass.. We're hoping the weather begins to turn to warmer days... with NO MORE SNOW....
Keep searching for those lovely treasures! It's just so much fun and allows us to enjoy the great outdoors!

o

I have canning jars all over the cottage full of it, and a few pieces I wire wrapped as jewelry. I can't help it, if I see a piece, it's coming home with me! When I was younger my aunt and uncle had a summer cottage on the lake, and the neighbor lived in hers year around and had for many years. she had jars upon jars lining her windows, so the sun would hit them. it was lovely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here