Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasive on LI?

Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 8:34

Help, I am sooo ticked off. I went to one of our "local" nurseries to pick up a few more perennials to fill in where the voles have dined. DH fell in love with the picture on the Morden Pink Loosestrife (he loves the stalk-type flowers) and I double checked with the nursery owner that the info on the tag was correct - it was sterile & non-invasive. I like to read up on all the plants I have & after putting them in the garden I read they are still considered invasive in most of the country 'cause they cross-pollinate with the non-sterile Loosestrife to cause problems. Do I did them up, return them, treat them as annuals & dead head them before they go to seed, or is it NOT a problem in our area/zone just in warmer parts of the country. All the tags indicate they were "grown on LI," so I'm not sure what is the right answer & I do NOT trust my local nursery to steer me right! Any info. will be greatly appreciated!

Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasive on LI?

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 10:02

Visit Shu Swamp in Millneck and you will see clearly that they are invasive on LI. Most wetlands on LI are threatened enough already, I myself would destroy it, you have to do what your conscience dictates.

o

The problem with loosestrife is in the northeast (LI included)and personally, I would stay away from it. I would guess you want to do the right thing and I would call the nursery, speak to the manager or buyer, and return them. Tell them you asked before buying if they give you a hard time, and you received bad info from their salesperson. From what I've read, yes, Morden Pink, will add to the problem as long as you are close enough to other plants of the species that can be pollinated by insects.

good luck. (ps....where did you buy it?)

o

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 12:41

Thanks for the responses. Amy, I got them in a little place on Jericho Tpke. in Smithtown and NO it was not Michael's. It looks like I am dong some digging & returnign this weekend.

o

I have to say I've never had this problem I suppose this happens some places sometimes but my favorite nursery is VERY reputable and knowledgable and never stocks these sorts of things. They never usually stock things that don't do well in this area and nothing that's a noxious weed. It still amazes me there are some nurseries that sell (variegated/chartrues (like limelight or not!) artemisia vulgaris. I more persnickity weed I have hardly come by! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here