Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's blooming on L.I.?

Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 14:29

Participating in a garden tour this time next year so I am trying to find some additions for the beds that will blossom now, but next year. I've been hitting the nurseries and taking some digital photos of what's in bloom in my area.

I'll be sowing lots of Foxgloves this summer because that is what's putting on a show for me right now.

What is looking spectacular in your garden right now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's blooming on L.I.?

I too have foxgloves in bloom throughout my beds. A few roses ready to bloom, and a plant that I'm just not sure what it is, :) its not quite in bloom, but once it is, I should be able to recognize what it is then. My golden allysum (perennial) is finished blooming and put on quite a show again this year with blooms of yellow, gold, pink, deep burgundy, and a brick like color. Stunning.
Alberta

o

My Iris by the pond almost makes me want to cry with it's loveliness. It's not a Bearded Iris...It's the smaller, more dainty...Blue Flag, I believe. A few blossoms on my Lychnis 'Rose Campion' are opened, and should be magnificent in a week's time. (I have a TON!) My roses all have buds, but are not opened yet. I have another Lychnis, which I believe is Flos-Cuculi (Ragged Robin)which is twice the size it was last year. My Columbines are still in bloom. My Nepeta (Catmint) is HUGE!!! I think that's about it for the perennials.
Lynn

o

salvia, May Night, looks great. Peonies, soon, I hope. And also the irises.

The stuff in the nurseries (in pots) blooms earlier than in the ground. I would be careful with that.

o

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 23:07

I'm with Amy on the Salvia May Night, I also have clematis in bloom (Ville De Lyon & Niobe), roses, honeysuckle, peonies, perennial geraniums (Johnson's Blue and Mourning Widow) TB Iris, daisies, and various dianthis to fill in any voids. Also, if you plant winter hardy pansies in the fall, they will still be going strong this time next year.

Best of luck!

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 6:38

Alyssum montanum, Iberis sempervirens and Aquilegia are finished. Verbascum 'Southern Charm,' Dianthus 'Arctic Fire' and Viola tricolor are in full bloom, as is Leucanthemum vulgare. 4 different Shasta Daisies are loaded with buds, and Delosperma 'cooperi' just started to pop yesterday. Cold season grasses; Festuca, Anthoxanthum, Luzula and Briza's are in full flower. Veggies; Snow Peas, Mustard, Turkish Rocket and Roquette are all in bloom, but are dwarfed by the flowers on the Horseradish patch. Weeds; Wood Sorrel and White Clover are the leaders in blooming right now. I swear, I must make a bed for Wood Sorrel. The foliage looks like a Columbine wannabe, without the leaf miners, and the little yellow blossoms are lovely. Trees; only Black and Honey Locusts are blooming right now.

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 10:53

You guys are awesome! I'm getting lots of ideas for my journal.

Thanks for the tips too. I was going to winter sow zinnias, cosmos and looking for some other tall annuals just to fill out some of the beds but not sure if I can convince them to flower this early. Rose campion is a great idea! Pansies are a great idea! I have some going strong right now from last fall. I'll probably also do lots of conatainers for patio and deck. I'll have to look into golden allysum it sounds beautiful. My coreopsis is just getting going now but this has been such a weird cool spring I'm thinking I can count on it being earlier next year. My May Night is just getting going too. Pink sun drops looking good now as well, going to move some around this year worry about how to get rid of them / keep 'em at bay later.

Donn your place sounds wonderful!

Thanks all! Any other ideas on things that will bloom 2nd week of June '06 keep 'em comin'!

o

The relatively new hydrangea " Sun Goddess" is spectacular surrounded by purple wave petunias in a large pot ... great color lime leaves that turn yellow as they age ... the flowers first came out yellow to cream and are turning pink as they age. My roses look wonderful as do the peonies and astiblies. Kousa dogwood is in bloom surrounded by many varieties of hosta. Can't wait for my canna and oriental lillies,red sunflowers, and of course the FIRST TOMATO from the garden!

o

Well, the roses popped today, and the Oenothera has started. What a difference a day makes!!
Lynn

o
RE: What's blooming on L.I.?-Rose Campion

KWoods...Let me know if you want seedlings. I have a GAZILLION...but can't guarantee if they'll grow up to be Rose, White(Alba), or Occulata(white with purple..gourgeous!)

o

Rhodies, lady's mantle, cranesbill,flag iris, peonies,foxglove,dianthus, yarrow,malva, centauria montana,sweet william,salvia,nepeta,santolina, campanula.

o

Lynn, can I have some of your rose campion?, I love the stuff..lol...I was thinking of snatching some from the woods on the path to the beach .lol...I only have a meduim size clump of it....Steph on Cape Cod

o

Hollyhock....Come on down to Lawn Guyland!!!!

o

Hey Guyland...Ill be right down!..Beats getting arrested by the Yarmouth police at midnite for "plant snatching" and beach trespassing...lololol...Steph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here