Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you see as the biggest differences, gardening by the sea?

Posted by bytegirl z7 LI,NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 04 at 15:19

Now that we have this forum, I am curious as to what others find are the biggest differences, both pro and con..gardening by the sea.

Mine has to be dealing with the wind...it is a rare day it isn't blowing...we get winds out of the northwest several times a year...which always seem to do some kind of damage...My 4th of July rose is a prime example..I don't think it has a leaf on it without some windburn...luckily it is a tough bugger!!

Also, it is typically 5 to 10 degrees cooler here than even a mile inland...I find I am always a couple of weeks behind the blooming curve, and tomatoes..forget about it!! Just isn't worth it. On the positive side..planting season is just about all summer long with pretty good results..

Another positive I have noticed is that it seems I don't have as many pests as others I read about..I am never really bothered that much by Japanese beetles..and my asiatic lilies grow and multiply without poison..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you see as the biggest differences, gardening by the

bytegirl, we just moved here last summer. I thought the wind was just a spring thing, or something, but it's still blowing every day. After reading your post, I guess we should expect it to blow frequently. I complained about all the rain we had in April/May but now its' bone dry here (Mystic). We need rain 'cause of the wind...it just dries everything out so quickly.

I spotted an Asiatic Lily Beetle over at my neighbor's gardens a couple weeks ago but that's the only one I've seen. We live on a small pennisula with only a few houses surrounded by downtown Mystic. So, I'm hoping we won't have as many pests as even Mystic Seaport (about a mile from me) has.

One thing I have noticed that's different is the sun...or at least I believe that is the name for the large red/orange ball some people report seeing in the sky. We see very little of it here. In fact, I painted our sunroom w/a color named 'Mystic Pewter' because I like the color but also the name! And, it's so true...there's always an overcast sky. Well, not always but much of the time. So, I'm wondering if perennials that need lots of sun (lavender?) might not do too well? I'd like to hear from other about this.

Good questions and I'm looking forward to reading responses.

o

Our house is 1/2 mile from the water. I have never gardened anywhere else but here since I'm a new gardener. However I do notice that we are a lot more humid than folks in the central part of Long Island. But we too have those ocean breezes, which I think help to counteract the humidity and control what would be an otherwise nightmare of fungal disease.

Angie

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 25, 04 at 14:24

Wind is the main thing. When the tide changes, or a storm comes off the water, we get the brunt of the wind.

Cooler summers and milder winters compared to the inland. Spring comes later here by the water, except in sunny, sheltered microclimates. My friends in the Worcester (central Mass.) area have their spring flower blooming when mine have barely poked through the ground. But, my garden is still blooming after the inland gardens have succumbed to a killing frost. Our frosts are several weeks later.

o

My experience falls most in line with Cady's. And it took me a long time to really "get" the subtlety of the difference between living next to the ocean and inland.

We don't have leaves on the oaks until mid-late May; my peonies are just wrapping up their performance, my inland friends are one week past peonies. Yet, in November, we're still harvesting vegetables and I've had flowering annuals (not Mums) in my windowboxes on Thanksgiving (not every year, mind you, but it's not uncommon).

It IS more humid here... powdery mildew is very much at home here, as are an assortment of fungi. We don't suffer the winds, as we're across the road and behind a substantial buffer of trees, but a walk down the road quickly reminds me of its perpetual presence (good in the summer for sailing!).

Generally, winters are more mild, though last year was the toughest yet. I lost a lot of very hardy things... Miscanthus, Dictamnus, Akebia, Sweet Autumn clematis, bulbs fared poorly, too. Buddleia, Caryopteris, hardy Hibiscus, and roses suffered big hits, or "folded" completely.

I've lived here for 13 years now; I've gardened in earnest for 12... and I've only just begun to understand, let alone massage, the subtleties of the climate that dictates success/failure in gardening!

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 26, 04 at 16:04

Wind, saltspray, saltwater within a few feet of the surface of the soil, Canada Geese visiting the lawn, Great Blue Herons sitting on the bulkhead. Blue Crabs in the boathouse, Bluefish, Striped Bass and Weakfish in the canal, clamshell flats in the bay to gather garden material from. Eel grass, when the wind is from the south, I harvest mountains of it, dry it in the sun and shred it for the gardens. Virtually every landscape plant on the place has 'japonica' somewhere in it's name, probably for good reason. Cooler springs and summers, but warmer falls and winters than inlanders. I feel pretty sure I could play with some zone 8 plants here.

o

Less stress on the plants: winters less severe (well, usually ...) and summers cool and "English". And for falling asleep in a hammock, the sound of the waves beats the sound of the highway every time.

o

• Posted by Claire z6b MA Coastal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 04 at 18:22

Last year, in the early spring, I found a spot by the house where I could hear both the peepers and the waves!

-Claire

o

wind , wind ,wind and when you think is gone more wind

o

I'm about a block from the ocean I wouldn't know awhat difference there was since I've lieved here all my life....... I know the summer is always cooler by the shore and the winters are milder..... I can grow things that would die in the winter just across new jersey...... and my spring annuals last much longer than in farther inland......

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 1, 04 at 11:09

Sounds like your situation is just like mine, flowerandthings!

o

Definitely the wind...........but those cool 'breezes' off the ocean in the middle of the summer make it all worthwhile. The garden seasons are diferent from the rest of NYC 'across the bridge' - spring starts later (ah, those 'breezes') and fall lasts longer. Also, the sun - my home is surrounded by sand and refection off the sand during the summer can really fry plants. It also necessitates water, water, water - not withstanding the morning mists, afternoon fogs, and the humidity. And I wouldn't live anywhere else (except maybe in Jan and Feb when the icy winds are blowing off the bay bringing a fine layer of beach sand with them).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here