Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storms on the Island

Posted by IrishGuy24 LI 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 04 at 17:15

As I sit here and type this there is a wicked storm happening outside right now. I was just wondering what are some of your memories of severe storms here on Long Island (and surrounding areas). I remember a storm on Labor day about 5 or so years ago that was one of the worst that I can remember. The sky turned a black green color with gusts of wind close to 70 mph. Horrible lighting and marble sized hail. At least 7 trees on my block were knocked down with countless power lines down. What do you all remember?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storms on the Island

Final count from that sudden downpour this afternoon... 2" in less than 30 minutes!!! and its thundering and lightening again!

o

Irish, I think I might know the storm you're talking about. I was at Fortunoff's on Old Country Road in Westbury when my friends and I walked outside and it was dark as night at 1 or so in the afternoon. All the lights in the parking lot and the streetlights were on and it was eerily still. The dark clouds were very low and we started rushing to the car. My friend lived literally 8 blocks from OCR and it took us 20 minutes to get there. I had never been so scared in my life. We literally could see nothing out of the windshield except faint red lights in front of us. But we were afraid to stop because we assumed the cars behind us couldn't see us either so we would get rear-ended. I finally rolled down the window and leaned my head out to tell her where to go. I was so scared that day.

A while back I was looking for information on Hurricane Gloria when I found an extremely interesting and well-done website on The Great Hurricane of 1938. I linked it below, it's a must-read for those interested in storms and/or local history.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Hurricane of 1938

o
RE: Storm on the Island

Oh and another link for some awesome severe weather photography. Found it one day while I was looking for the name for a cloud I saw on the way home as a storm was rolling in. It was called a shelf cloud. An awesome sight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Severe Weather photos

o

No memories of it (wasn't born yet!) but that big storm of the 1930s hit land in none other than Bellport. I'm praying the chances are low for that to happen again!

Angie

o

Haven't been here long enough to report on big storms at the Mystic shore but there's a rather large city sign in my front yard that reads "Evacuation Route" at the top and then foot markers below for the water level. Based on the looming sign, I'd say we about 18-24" above sea level...there's only one way off our little penninsula. I try not to think about it! Well, that's not completely true. One of the first things we did last summer (when we purchased the home) was to make a "To Do" list in case of really bad storm.

o

I went through the 1938 hurricane in the Boston area and lived to remember it clearly. We had no warnings. Before the storm hit, looking out to the southeast, the clouds turned a mustard yellow rolling mass of doom about three in the afternoon. Then the wind began, high in the trees. Not at ground level. There is no way to describe that afternoon as trees fell all around us. It howled all night. In the morning not one tree was standing. Morning dawned sunny and bright. All communication with the outside world was cut off except for ham radio operators and as power was restored (it took months), some were able to make phone calls that traveled on the underseas cable to England and then back to the States. I have, since then, weathered a number of 'blows' on the Cape and Islands. If you are inland/upland on the Cape and Islands and you have built for hurricanes then it is probably safe to ride out the storms. But, if you have built on the flatland sands near the ocean....get out! Leave! I have seen the seas roll several miles inland during hurricanes opening up new channels to inland fresh water ponds. Yet, one of the miracles, to me at least, is that the spring following a severe storm the beach plums and Rosa rugosa which may have been covered with heavy sands or scalped by the pounding surf recover, struggle up and begin growing again; allowing the dunes to rebuild around their growth.

o

Summer thunder storms are mind blowing! I remember quite a few, not one in particular. My girls (14 & 10) are quite aware of storm warnings.

If we are outside (and aren't we always) in the summer and suddenly the sky gets dark or we hear rumbles in the distance, I start shouting "STORM, BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES". The hammock comes down, the patio & pool umbrella's get shut. Some hanging plants get taken down to sheltered corners and things on the breezeway are lumped together.

Our breezeway acts like a wind tunnel during a storm, it faces north/south. One year I had a wrought iron tea cart with a glass top and the whole thing went flying out and the glass shattered into a million bits. Gazing balls have also flown out of the breezeway!

Melanie

o

Before we got our former rental cottage here in RI we were advised that if we built any addition it should be constructed "like any other ordinary boat". The previous owner sold it after the hurricane of 1993 did a lot of damage. We're still finding parts of rooms (even a whole stove) in the swamp, brought there by a huge wave, along with 3 waterfront cottages. The coastal dept. won't let them rebuild that close to the water, so they brought in trailers instead (that area is a 1940's colony of 1-room units with a central bathhouse for all).

Are we due for another big hurricane this year?

o

What island were you referencing? ;) Cuttyhunk, Star, Boone, Chebeague, Monhegan... ?

Sorry, couldn't resist... (I'm a wicked soul)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here