Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Success with Giant White Callas in NE?

Posted by jade68 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 04 at 17:29

Hi,
I want to know if anyone from the northeast has any successful growing the Giant white Callas in your garden? if yes, please share your secrets.....I have been trying to grow them for several years and only got them to bloom one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Success with Giant White Callas in NE?

Jade
I'm not sure I'm familiar with "Giant" white callas, but I've grown callas in pots for the last few years, and last fall before bringing them all indoors, I decided to toss a few in a garden bed, just to see on the off chance they would last during the winter. They did, and are now growing in one of my flower beds. I was really shocked that they survived the cold and snow winter we had. Hope that helps.
Alberta

o

Hi Alberta,
Wow, your callas survived last year winter. Several years ago, i had left a few hybrid callas and one white in my garden bed but they didn't survive. I have success going the colored ones and it just the Giant white callas that i can't get them to bloom. I am obsessed to see them bloom in my garden.

o

They need well drained soil but need alot of organics and are hungry feeders. Try feeding them regularly, about once a week a good organic fertilizer.

o

I thought the big white calla like wet soil? if so, why do they do well in well drained soil? I will try to amend my soil with more compost this year and hope that well.

o

Jade
I was in total surprise this year when I saw callas coming up, I had really forgotten I threw a few of the bulbs in there, maybe all the snow we had helped insulate them? I don't know but it was worth the try, :)and just to note too, my callas in pots and in the ground have not bloomed yet this year, I thought for sure by this time last year they had already bloomed.
Alberta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here