Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lobster Compost

Posted by rudysmallfry CT (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 04 at 17:42

My local nursery started selling Lobster Compost this year, along with crabs, shrimp and all thing ocean. They claim it's all the rave this year, but didn't elaborate on why. Does anyone know what the benefits would be to using this stuff versus plain old ordinary (and $3 a bag cheaper) compost?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lobster Compost

I got one bag just for the concept. It's a mix and is mostly other more ordinary composted materials, and the fertilizer effect is the same 1-1-1 as most of the others. But it makes a great gift!

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 30, 04 at 6:42

Below is a website which explains (a little) about lobster compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quoddy Blend

o

We went with the salmon, blueberry and mussel mix ourselves... sounded much tastier than the crab, lobster, salmon and aspen bark...;)

We saw two advantages: it's a far better use of commercial seafood waste than towing it out to sea and dumping it, and the mix contained shell fragments, great for long-term calcium. The downside of the latter is that they are sharp as razors...

At Mahoney's in Massachusetts, per-bag price was only $1 more than conventional.

D&K

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 30, 04 at 10:23

Now I've heard everything. lol

When my former neighbors had one of their frequent lobster dinners, I would end up with "lobster compost" in my backyard... The raccoons would have a banquet on the discarded dinner garbage, and my garden birdbath would be full of lobster shells and bits (along with the stink) the following morning.

o

Oh my Gawd..... I LOVE 'Fish Dirt'.. Every year I buy several bags of Maine Gold. Being on Cape Cod, living by a beautiful lake I really didn't want to use regular fertilizers. Its the best.

o

Count me in. I love it! I get the crab lobster salmon mix (sounds like we're ordering at a restaurant, doesn't it?). I top dress my hosta beds with it. I love the idea of making use of all that extra from the processing plants rather than dumping it in the ocean or filling up landfills. I do find it's a bit pricier, but since I can't compost myself (condo living), it's the next best thing for me.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 9:03

"..since I can't compost myself.."

;>)

o

My wife and i have had all sorts of company this summer its been one lobster/clam bake after another. The great benefit of all this has been my compost pile! My daughter dislikes lobster/clams but she loves to crunch them up in the bucket. I put the stuff at the middle/bottom of the pile and leave her be.
Mac
ps. I know I know, you feel for me:(

o

LOL @ Donn. That's great. Guess my choice of words could have been improved, eh?

o

I love their products! I'm glad they made good use of recycling. Does that make my veggies not pure veggies? LOL

o

I have used the bags of some Maine brand I bought locally and thought it was good. I actually liked the bits of mussel and other shells that would remain on the top of the soil after it all became incorporated. Once there was a broken end of a lobster swizzle stick and I was happy to know they were likely composting from restaurants. For a while I looked at it in my garden bed and tried to imagine the dinner someone had. That didn't last long and I pulled it out and tossed it. I can be overly romantic but to a point. I have the same rules about trash in my garden that most people have.

o

As an alternative to lobster compost I have found a selection of natural seaweed and fish products at Saltwater Farms in Gorham, Maine that can be purchased on-line. I've been using these products for several years with great success. The coastal climate in Lubec, Maine is hard on my shrubs, trees, and perennials, but these foods/fertilizers are making them flourish. I mix the Sea Blend granules into the soil for continuous feeding and use the Liquid Seaweed/Fish Fertilizer as a foliar spray. This has a strong odor, so I spray fragrant flowers prior to their blossoming. The odor is absorbed by the petals. My plantings include rugosa roses, hydrangeas (Limelight, Endless Summer,Quick Fire), viburnums, elderberries, rhododendrons, spirea vanhoutte, Ruby Spice summersweet, mock orange and a variety of perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saltwater Farms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here