Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini - any quick and easy recipies?

Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 8:41

Hi, we've got more zucchini then I know what to do with and its not even from my garden, its from my neighbors who are overflowing with it this year. I've already put it in salads, cooked it down with tomatoes, made zucchini bread and zucchini pie, but I need more ideas so that it doesn't go to waste (declining more zucchini is NOT an option). Any quick and easy home recipies?

Thanks in advance -

Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini - any quick and easy recipies?

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 23:01

Recipe #1: "Zucchini Surprise"
- fill large packing box with zucchini
- leave on neighbor's porch at night
- run before anyone sees you

Okay, that's not really a recipe. :)
Here's an actual one:

- slice a large zucchini into thin rounds
- beat 2 eggs, and add 1/4 cup milk and a pinch of black pepper. Mix well.
- add 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs to the egg-milk and stir in to make a batter. Add a little extra milk or water if batter is too dry. It should be just wet enough to stick to and coat the zucchini slices.
- dip zucchini slices in the batter, then place in a hot skillet in which you have heated 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 crushed/mashed clove of garlic
- sautee until golden brown (medium heat -- otherwise garlic and batter will burn).
- transfer browned slices to a paper towel, then serve hot.

o

• Posted by Claire z6b MA Coastal (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 23, 04 at 9:06

I still remember a friend giving me a huge zucchini about 2 days before I left for Belgium. Refusing was also not an option.

I just did a Google search for "zucchini recipes" and got this link and a lot others.

-Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: zucchini recipes

o

They make excellent additions to thecompost bin.

No, actually, I take 2 big zukes, slice them lengthwise in half, scoop out the innards (save this stuff), parboil the zuke shells, then overfill with cooked spaghetti mixed with tom. paste, sauteed onions & the zuke stuff, and lots & LOTS of garlic, put cheese on top, and bake for 45 min. Serve in big slices.

o

Zucchini makes EXCELLANT bread - do a search.

Also I use it as a main dish but splitting them in half scooping out the middle and mixing it with spices -garlic, basil, pepper, organeo, sprinkle of olive oil, etc put it back in and then pour over my own made meatballs and sauce (made from tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic) -bake covered for 30 -45 mins @ 350 then add a mix blend of cheese and bake until melted serve with pasta or over rice and a salad. Yum!!!! A glass dish spray with Pam makes for easy clean up. Or if you are grillling wrap them up in tin foli and put them on the grill when the are done drizzle the sauce on & sprinkle the cheese on.

My kids LOVE the bread though or you can make muffins with it. I did a search here before and there are two - the one with more cinnamon is a bit better. It also makes a great coffee cake.

Or side dish: sauteed - garlic, onions and peppers with olive oil then add the zucchini -if you like add this to fettucini sauce and serve over pasta

:-)

o

Substitute for cukes in pickle and relish recipes. Our rains come very inconsistently, so we don't grow cukes and the zucchinis do very nicely instead.

We preserve most in kosher dill brine.

o

Hi Beth,

Here are several really easy ways we enjoy zucchini:

1) Cut medium zuchs lenthwise, poke them all over with a fork and throw them on the grill basting with whatever BBQ sauce you're using for your chicken...Open a can of pineapple slices, or buy some fresh pineapple - throw those on too. Make a quick box of rice pilaf and you've got a whole meal.

2) Thinly slice small to medium zuchinni and saute in olive oil until tender. Toss with a few spoonfuls of pesto. Makes a great side dish.

3) Here's a nice vegetable medly I make year round: Dice zuchinni, yellow squash, a red onion, a sweet red pepper and some mushrooms. Saute in butter - salt and pepper to taste. The flavors blend so well together and it's really pretty, too!

o

Stir fry in garlic and oil, toss with pasta. I like the zucchini quartered and in maybe 2.5 inch lengths for this. Add whatever other seasonings you like.

Zucchini is great on the grill. Quarter them lengthwise. The zucchini picks up the flavor of whatever you are cooking on, so if you cook it or other vegetables on the grill, you absolutely cannot use lighter fluid. Hardwood lump charcoal starts real easily without.

o

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 04 at 14:29

Wow everyone, thanks for the wide array of responses, we're having crappy weather today so I'm going to get started cooking for the week. I'll let you know how it all turns out!

Thanks again -

Beth

o
RE: Zucchini - responses to any quick and easy recipies?

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 1, 04 at 14:31

I forgot to add - thanks for the laughs as well!

o

THE best easy recipe I have ever tried!
Grate zucchini
Sprinkle with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper
Stir to combine.
Dish onto plates, and top with shredded parmesan cheese and ENJOY. Light, refreshing, and uses up TONS of zuicchini. All my kids love it too - yum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here