Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
palms in CT

Posted by michaelzz z6CT (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 23, 04 at 14:53

I have been growing a needle palm ( rapidophylum hystrix ) and several Trachycarpus palms for five years now here in Connecticut,, ( Zone 6 inland )

I just cover them with a sheet of burlap and some oak leaves and pile snow around them and remove it around early April

Ayone else have good luck with palms in this area ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: palms in CT

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 23, 04 at 17:07

I have Sabal minor, but have been bringing them indoors for the winter. I should just go for it and plant them in the ground. It's supposed to be able to take temps of down to -5F with protection. I'd like to try a needle palm (R. histrix), which is supposed to be hardy to -20.

How has windmill palm done in your garden? I've seen hardiness charts that say they're hardy to around 12 degrees F.

o

That's really interesting news about palms. I've been living in Africa (Mozambique) for almost three years but will return to Connecticut--and a new garden that needs a lot of work--in the fall. I'd love to have a few palms to remind me of the gardens here. What are good sources for finding palms? Do you have one or two suggestions about reliable sources of information?

o

I put 2 sabal ( riverside ) in the ground that i have had in pots for years after the windmill palms did so well . I also put in another windmill palm this spring that i had ,

, the first windmill palm I put out grew three new large leaves year

i brought most of the palms to CT from California and Texas.. i sometimes see windmill palms at nurseries , more often than not as house plants.. i leave them all uncovered until the night temps get into the upper 20's, then feel sorry for them and throw an sheet over first, then a piece of burlap and keep covered in snow until spring ... i removed the cover in March I think,, as soon as the snow melted off it

if i see any more this year i am going to buy them and plant them ,, they should be planted by about the 3rd week in August to get adjusted before the soil cools down ..

o

I had a rhapidophyllum hystrix for many years which was eventually shaded out by a huge magnolia grandiflora, so I planted another one last year and it survived here in Brooklyn without any winter protection. Chamaerops humilis , sabal and trachycarpus are also supposed to be good but I have not tried them. In the link there is some info from a guy in Rhode Island about his hardy palms. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Palms

o

I had a needle palm in the ground last winter that became toast- it was a record winter for sustained cold- so this year may be different. I had a Trachycarpus wagnerianus in the ground winter of 1997-98 that sustained no damage! Of course the lowest temp that winter was around 12F.
I saw the latest USDA Hardiness zones- and CT from about the shore line north to Middletown is now a zone 7, while the rest of the state is a zone 6- so global warming is having an impact here. I also grow yucca's. and many hosta's as well as roses and other perennials as well as some annuals and wild flowers. As for palms I have many, including that two trachy's, a Mediterreanan fan palm (Blue version) very hardy around zone 7- as well as Chamaedorea's, A Phoenix Louerelii, a large Kentia, and some others. The best palms to try here over an average winter are of course the Needle palm, followed by the saw palmetto. Trachy's need to be protected- unless planted in a very favorable location and its a mild winter.

o

After seeing your musa bajoo, I'm taking mine out of the pot and putting it in the ground. How is it sited?

We're having a CT plant swap Sept 26. I'm in Greenwich and love going. Check the NE Exchange page.

Hedy

o

Wed, Sep 8, 04 at 11:26

I have a Musa basjoo situated in a peony bed. The peonies were planted by a previous owner... I don't really care about them and am gradually displacing them with bananas and clumping bamboo.

This is a hardy, tough banana. It's hardy to zone 5. Mine has been in the garden only one season - before that, it lived in a container, but I finally planted it this spring. It's well mulched and the soil is rich in humus but has good drainage. My only plans for winter are to cut the stalk once the top dies back with the frost, and wrap the base of the stalk and cover it with mulch.

I still haven't had the courage to plant the Sabal minor, as they are still small and I want to give them another winter in containers in the house. But, they'll go into the garden in a place with very good drainiage, next spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana in temperate zone garden

o

Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 15:02

The snow cover probably helped. Snow is a good insulator. The winter of 2004 was far more damaging here because of the lack of snow. Winter 2005 was like Nature's quilt.

My Sabal minor are big enough this year to put in the garden, so I'm going to plant one of them and see how it manages. Did you do anything to protect them last winter - other than let the snow cover them?

o
RE: paulownia in CT

Has anyone in eastern CT grown paulownia? I have put in the ground a few dozen. Will they need a lot of mulch to winter? Thanks Ralph G

o

Paulownias grow well here in Western CT and Westchester NY... they make their buds in the summer and they have to winter over to bloom in the spring ..evenif the buds freeze, you can cut the trucks tothe ground each year and get 10' of growth with giant leaves

o
Hardiest Palms

I think perhaps for the hardiest trunking palm species you should try Trachycarpus takil. Next in line is T.fortunei in hardiness. The two most cold tolerant shrubby type palms are Sabal minor and Rhapidophyllum hystrix. R.hystrix is of course the hardiest. I grow all of these in my garden. T.fortunei self seed like weeds. Good luck, Joe

o

Early April -snowed this morning mild winter 2005-06
I have outside on the front porch a trachcarpus fortunei and Wagerianus- lots of snow on them- they are tough, the Wag was in the ground the entire winter 97-98 and much smaller then now.
Put a 4 gallon Phoenix Loureilli in the ground in a south facing garden a few days go- I will repot it this fall- snow all over the fronds - seems ok- sun out now- snow melting rapidly.

o

Wow, Palms in CT? I always wanted to grow one but just thought they were for warmer climates. Now I'll rethink that.

o

Palm in our cold zones. wonder. Do they produce dates or just for decoration.

o

A friend of mine grows a couple palms by his pool patio. He transplants them.indoors every late autumn.they thrive so i know he ia doing something right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Driveways Corp- Paving in New England

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here