Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moles and voles......annoying me

Posted by Eastport_champie z7 Long Island (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 17:33

Was wondering if anyone has been having a problem with tunneling animals. I put in a new irrigation system and graded and seeded part of my property this spring. Now I am finding tunnels through the grass areas and in the beds. I had found some in years past, but they are the worst that they have been in the three years I have been here.

Actually my dogs probably chased them away last year, but now that I have this nice new lawn, I don't let them run free out there. I built a dog run and keep them in there during the day.

I bought one of those spring traps and have been placing it in areas where they seem to be the most active. The trap has been sprung a few times, although I have not dug up the area to see if anything is dead in there.

either way trapping seems like a no win situation. I have an acre of property, and there is a lot of open fields and woods around me that is not maintained...I just don't think it is a good option.

I was wondering if any one has any luck with those coyote urine repellents?

I am going to order some and see if they work.

i was also thinking of some grub control....I hear that is one of the moles favorite foods

if anyone has any real results with any other methods, or if there is a professional out there that takes care of this..i would love to know

i live on the south shore...Long island...Easport new york

thanks

Stephen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moles and voles......annoying me

• Posted by BSG1 z7 NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 05 at 20:39

Hi Stephen, we are suffering with voles here in Smithtown & have been for years. This year we tried some of the repellants from Gardener's Supply Company & I thought they were working until I noticed the damage the nasty buggers did in my TB Iris bed. Seriously, though, they are real pests especially once they start dining on your garden plants. For protecting the plants we have been using physical barriers such as crushed oyster shells and raised beds that also go approx. 1 foot down. Many of our new perennials have also been planted in large plastic contianers with the bottoms cut out and then sunken in to the ground. Best of luck! It's gardener v. vermin and I hope you win.

o

If the source of your problem is grubs, you can use either diatenacious earth or beneficial nematodes to get rid of them, and your moles will go elsewhere for food. The first product can be found at Home Depot, (in some stores anyway). It's a razor sharp sand-like substance that cuts the grubs at they move around and will kill them. The second can be found online, (planetnatural.com I think) It's microscopic critters that feed on the grubs. If you're near the water, I'd think twice about using any chemical methods. The water's polluted enough these days.

You can tell pretty easily if you have a grub problem. Besides moles, you might see white moths. Your lawn might have some brown spots in it where the grubs are eating the roots. If you pull a chunk of grass up, you'll be able to see the little gross white wormy things just under the surface. Good luck.

o

It sounds as though we have somewhat similar properties one acre partly landscaped surrounded by woodland/field. I was surprised when I hired two professionals to help me with the rapid death of mature shrubs in and around my woods. This included many bayberry, beach plum, viburnhum, inkberry, meserve holly. It turned out to be voles chewing clear through the trunk just below the surface. Trapping seemed futal and my dog is free to roam so poisons were not an option. I was told that voles tend to tunnel just below the surface in the lighter layer of soil/leaves/mulch, and find their food by bumping into it. The suggestion from the professionals was that I pull the mulch and or leaves (fall clean up)away from the trunk by a good two feet as the voles won't want to risk being in the open to be prey for birds, cats, dogs, ect. That was four years ago and since the rate of destruction has dropped dramatically. Good Luck

o

When our resident feline contingent became geriatric the rodent population exploded. Our gardens suffered mightily.

Cure? 3 new kittens in fall '03. They were a total gas all winter long, and by springtime they were familiar with the yard and ready to roll.

Things are back to normal, the "kittens" are supremely elegant adults, well versed in hunting.

You have rodents, get a cat. You have deer, get a dog with some "attitude". It WORKS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here