Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repeat of thread: Favorite Long Island nurseries.

Posted by Bellport NY zone 6b/7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 04 at 22:29

Okay folks, I don't know how to attach a link. I posted a thread earlier this year on the Metro NY Forum asking for everyone's favorite LI nurseries and got a great response. Is there someone who can post the link here? I think it would be nice to include the thread in our new Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum. Please feel free to add any other nurseries to the list.

My top nurseries this season:

The Daisy Garden, Gillette Avenue in Bluepoint/Bayport. EXCELLENT prices - $7.50 for a 1-gallon perennial! Bought most of my perennials from this place including the hot new aster, "Lady in Black".

Eastland Nurseries - Montauk Highway in Water Mill. A riotous explosion of color when seen from the road since they group the perennials en masse by type/color, all laid out neatly in rows in an open field. Healthy, healthy plants - nothing dead or dying here. NOT the place, however, to buy shrubs. ($300 for a medium sized boxwood).

Marder's - the most expensive, but the most pleasurable shopping experience. Plus, a good excuse to visit Amy Perlin Antiques in Bridgehampton or just enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Crane's Nursery, Montauk Highway in Brookhaven Hamlet. Small place but nice people, nice selection of plants, nice prices too. 3-gallon / 3 year old clematis for only $23! AND it was one of the less commonly seen clematis (V. Venosa Violacea). Score!

Brookville Nurseries - healthy large plants, nice ladies who will set up a house account if you forget to bring your checkbook (no credit cards accepted).

Roslyn Nurseries - stuff you only see in the Bluestone Perennials catalog. NYBG members get a discount.

Wasn't too impressed:
Hick's. Yes, that's right, the ever popular Hick's. Big, but kind of predictable. I did miss the big clematis shipment however, which I regret. I'll go next year if I'm up for the hefty prices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repeat of thread: Favorite Long Island nurseries.

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 6:58

Here ya go:

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Nurseries

o

Thanks Donn!
I notice that you also live on the South Shore. I'm guessing Sayville area? or Massapequa? I'm new to Long Island (2 1/2 years) and still learning all the areas, but these are 2 areas I have visited that have the canals you describe.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 20, 04 at 9:04

Amityville, right around the corner from the Amityville Horror house!

London's is the closest nursery to me, but I avoid it like the plague. The last time I visited, I bought 3 tons of stone. I have absolutely no self control. I can't even make it through the garden tool section at Home Depot.

o

Donn,
I have been to Londons and have not been impressed, saw a lot of half dead plants and dead fish in their ponds.
If you want to see beautiful plants and pristine nursery go a few more miles to Freeport on Atlantic Avenue. Atlantic Nursery has the best and healthiest plants.

Stella

o

I visited Brookville Nursuries earlier this week (May 24, 2005) on Northern Blvd. and can confirm that they have a HUGE spring inventory of every imaginable annual, perennial, etc. This came after visiting 3 or 4 local garden centers and not finding much. The two women who run it were very helpful. Prices were not cheap, about average for this area, but certainly less than Martin Viette, which is a few miles east of them.

o

Wow great timing, I've got some info for you!

Every year I say I'm going to go to multiple nurseries and price out everything I want before I go. Well, this year I finally did it!

I went to three nurseries: Atlantic Nursery on Atlantic Avenue in Freeport (convenient to my house), Cipriano Nursery on Front Street in East Meadow (saw them at the Hofstra flower show, wanted to give it a try) and Hicks Nursery in Westbury.

Turns out, Atlantic was way overpriced on everything. I had purchased four pots of Ice Plant (succulent I have been meaning to get) from Dees Nursery in Oceanside for $5.49 a pot. At Atlantic, the same plants from the same grower were $6.49 a pot. Atlantic was an average of 50 cents to a dollar above everyone else.

I did purchase a bag of sand, a jug of slug/snail granules, a big bag of Perlite, and three 2" pots of cactus from Hicks.

But I purchased everything else from Cipriano's. It's a little place with a tiny parking lot but it's worth it for the price and the diversity. I bought million bells, coleus (from Stained Glasshouse Works!), tons of osteospermum, a pot of allium, hens n chicks, black elephant ears, two types of trailing flowers I forgot the name of, a big orange dahlia, a flat of cosmos, two big pots of salvia, and two bags of bird seed.

I'm pretty much done for the season, I might pick up something here or there but we're trying to save for a house so I'm on a budget!

o

SummitView, isn't Brookville great? The ladies are very nice indeed.

Greenfreak, sounds like you scored bigtime at Cipriano's!

o
RE: Repeat of thread: Favorite Long Island nurseries--for edibles

How about the best Long Island wholesale nurseries for edibles? My wife and I are starting a "foodscaping" business and are scoping out suppliers.

Thanks.

o

Sayville girl here... Every spring I go to Peconic River Herb Farm in Calverton... I was surprised it's not already listed. It's worth an afternoon visit, have lunch in the area ... enjoy. It's very pretty there and they have a nice variety of Heuchera, Daylily, roses annuals... if you don't want to buy big plants, they have a nice selection of 2 and 3$ pots. I just bought 'blue mouse ear' hosta... I'm made at my self for NOT buying the "banana cream" shasta they had. Now I'm 120miles away back in NJ. I may ask my dad to go get me one and care for it until I visit LI next.

Peconic River Herb Farm.... well worth it, a lovely place with great selection of the not so typical stuff. GO GO GO :O)

o

Bronwynspetalpatch...I bought the Banana Cream Shasta...it is gorgeous. I go the Peconic River Herb Garden in Calverton quite often. They have healthy plants and herbs. I love it there. I live close by so I am so lucky. Last week they had a sale 30% off Tropical plants and 50% off Annuals. I went crazy.

o

fort hill nursery in huntington- thorough selection of annuals /perennials. Got passionflower/euphorbia/rudbeckia vine/morning glories/whirling butterflies here...

Brookville nursery-as others have mentioned this place is a gem. it resembles a meadow...of flowers that are for sale! this is a place to wander around...lovely flowers include bugbane, bleeding hearts, delphiniums, and fields of roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: favorite long island nurseries

o

Here is another endorsement for the Peconic River Herb Farm. I have taken my daughter there every summer for the last ten years. It is right around the corner for you in Bellport. I live in Medford so it is even closer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here