Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hummingbirds

Posted by amyg26 z7 LINY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 9:37

I was finally able to catch my visitors by camera. It's been especially busy this past week.

Here is a link that might be useful: hummingbird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hummingbirds

i'm not sure about that link.....you might need this

Here is a link that might be useful: hummers

o

Lucky you! That bird is adorable. What plant is he eating from? I'm new to hummers this year. Got my first feeder and got a cross vine, cardinal flower, jacob cline monarda and next year will get lots more hummingbird loving flowers.

I still haven't seen one at my feeder, but maybe because I don't have enough of the nector rich flowers they love.
I'm in the Babylon area, what part of Long Island are you on?

o

They really seem to like the red salvia greggii. I planted it last year in the ground but did not get any birds. This year, it is in three window boxes that are in a line across my mudroom and laundry room. In addition, I have cypress vine (Ipomoea quamoclit...this may be the same as your cardinal flower) growing up around the windows over the boxes.

I have 2 feeders about 15 feet away from the window boxes in the middle of a large flower garden. They definitely prefer the flowers.

I am out east in the Westhampton area.

o

Thanks for the info. I've read that they love any of the salvia greggii, and I know they love red too. Do you have a picture of it in the windowboxes? I would love to see it.

o

The salvia is in the posted pictures, but looks more magenta than red due to my camera.

If you google "image" I'm sure you will find some good pictures.

Is anyone else finding these "sponsored links" are really slowing things down on garden web?

o

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 05 at 11:00

Thanks for posting those hummingbird pics!

Why is it seeing these little guys makes me so happy? Saw bunches of them chasing each other around the salvia in the walled garden at Old Westbury Gardens last week. If anyone wants to enjoy them (oh yeah, the gardens looked great too!) you can find them there on a sunny day.

I'll try to post a pic of one when I get a chance.

o
hummingbirds photo

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 12:47

Here's a pic of one of the little suckers at Old Westbury Gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here