Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell us what is your favorite in the garden this year?

Posted by Irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (maureenpm00@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 14:44

HI. Maureen here. I'm fairly new to this forum, I've been here before but I forget that it is here.

I was wondering what is your favorite plant in your garden this year? What is your least favorite? Any surprises, good or bad?

I have had a lot of fun planting some new hydrangeas and am recently into daylilies. Purples and lavendars are my favorites. My 45 roses are doing pretty well. I've slacked off on spraying them for fungal diseases, but have to get back to it this weekend. My hollyhocks were new this year, I grew them from seed and this was the first year they flowered. They were so beautiful.

This summer has been a great summer, I'm really enjoy the summer and my garden.

Bye
Maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell us what is your favorite in the garden this year?

I'd have to say that my favorites were anything I successfully Winter-Sowed, esp. since it was my first time trying. I had success with Calendula and Cleome, and two other lovelies who I UNSUCCESSFULLY labeled, so I have no clue what they are!!! I JUST got into Day Lilies, and plan to continue next year. I favor bright oranges and reds. Plain old Ditch Lilies still are my favorite. My vines are not as pretty as last year, and I dare-say I might actually feel there IS such a thing as TOO much Lychnis 'Rose Campion'---GASP!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter-Sown Calendula

o

the calendula is beautiful lynn (it is lynn, isn't it?). I had that flower blooming near my back door one year until Thanksgiving! It's the perfect fall color!

My favorite thing in the garden this year are the abundance of butterflies, bees and birds. They are loving it this year and I am loving watching them. One morning, we had a flock of immature somethings descend upon the garden for about half an hour. We think they were orioles. they sat on the zinnias and picked away. They played in the hydrangeas right up against the house as we watched from the windows. Now the goldfinches are enjoying the sunflowers and rudbeckia nitida herbstonne. And the hummingbirds are loving the salvia greggii. Everything is dry as a bone, but the wildlife seems to love it.

o

Oh Amy, you remembered me ! :-)

o

Toomanypets - those flowers you winter sowed are beautiful. I'm going to try winter sowing. Did you start them in containers and then transplant them? There is something special about flowers in my garden that I've grown from seed. Like my hollyhocks. First time I've ever had them. Grew from seed last year and this year they flowered. They were so beautiful.

Amy - I'm loving the birds and butterflys too. I know we need the bees, but I'm not so happy with them buzzing all around me :-0

I don't think I've ever seen orioles. That must have been so much fun to watch. I'm getting a red raspberry vine. I hope the birds will come to eat the berries .

Maureen

o

Irish...I started all the WS in containers such as plastic soda bottles at the beginning of February-most people start earlier. I planted them out when the seedlings got to a good size. Definitely check out the FAQ on the WS forum.
Lynn

o

I have some beautiful annuals including calendula (and I especially appreciate the nasturtium which are tumbling everywhere) but my favorites right now are boltonia and helenium. This is an early fall snapshot of the garden I am going on but these plants are apparently pest free and they bloom when most things are done. If the question was asked in June there would be a different answer but I have no idea now what it would have been.

o

• Posted by Donn_ Z7, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 05 at 8:52

My favorite new garden plant is Helianthus maximilliani, winter sowed in March. It's approaching 8' high now, and starting to explode in blooms.

Here it is a week or so ago, before the blooms started opening:

I'll update soon, when more blossoms are open.

o

Hi all
This year my favorite has to be this 8 foot tall Texas Star Hibiscus that I started from seed 3 years ago. No, this I didn't winter sow, I started it indoors under lights. Last year it flowered so-so, this year its been spectacular. The only problem is I have not been able to get seeds from it yet, the blooms open beautifully for a day or so, then the buds fall off pod and all.
Alberta

o

Lynn your Calendulas are beautiful. I too have too many pets and named Lynn. Too funny! This is the first year I have my very large roof garden planted and I have to say my most favorite so far are my Weeping Beech trees and my Clematis. They are blloming furiously still. I hope everything makes it through the winter. I grew up in New Orleans where everything grew year round. This will be interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here