Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting seeds

Posted by momof4ny z7 ny (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 04 at 22:42

Hi,
I am new to this forum but so thrilled to have found it!
I have a beautiful new backyard, in Melville, that took forever to complete! Now, comes the fun stuff! Next year I plan on having a profuse show of annual colors in my garden! I was wondering if anyone plants seeds? or do you just buy the container annuals in the nurseries? As I was going through seed catalogs the planting instructions kind of scared me..ha ha ha.
Also, does anyone know anything about daylillies with a purple bud instead of an actual flower???
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting seeds

• Posted by Donn_ Z 7, seaside,NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 6:02

Mom...check out the Winter Sowing Forum. Read the FAQs and ask questions.

o

I just found this forum. I live in Bay Shore. I start a lot of plants from seeds. I do annuals and perennials. I start from seeds because it's cheaper plus I can get more of a variety. Every year I get to try new plants. I usually sow seeds indoor. I'm thinking about trying winter sowing outdoors.

o

I always had a fear of seeds, because I threw them in the ground and nothing happened. Well, this year we tried seeds indoors, for a short time right before real Spring arrived. We used the little peat cups. I grew several annual vines which are gourgeous now...Hyacinth Bean, Scarlet Runner Bean, Morning Glory, and Black-Eyed Susan vine(Thumbergia). I also grew Nasturtium, which look lovely around my waterfall. I tried Bells of Ireland, but had no luck with that, nor with Moonflower Vine either. I'm definitely going into Winter Sowing this year.
lynn

o

I use the "aps" seed starters from Gardeners Supply. For anything that's at all tricky, they increase my germination rate dramatically.

Thompson and Morgan has a great selection, and once you figure out the code in the catalog, you can avoid buying seeds that are too difficult to get going. The first year, I ordered lots of things that I would not even try, these days, because I know they won't thrive for me (low light, high temperatures, low humidity).

There are also booths at the flower show in Boston for all the best seed houses, and I inevitably come homw with more than I've got room for - no greenhouse yet.

o

Winter Sowing works great It came out of East Meadow. Go for it!

o

Hey, Digging, What are "aps" seed starters?

And Too_Many, I did the same thing you did; started some in peat pots and was very pleased with the results. However, my blue morning glory has billions of leaves and no flowers.

Best seed viability was from Pinetree Gardens at www.superseeds.com. Worst - Parks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pintree Gardens

o

Muffie -
APS are the seed starting trays (advanced propagation system, or something equally grand sounding) from Gardeners Supply.

They consist of a tray that holds everything, a moisture-wicking mat, a gizmo that holds the soil and seeds, something that elevates that gizmo so it's not right in the water, and a clear plastic dome-ish cover. Most of it is made out of a styrofoam type material. They're quite durable, mine have lasted for years and years.

It works well because the seedlings get the right amount of moisture, consistently, the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much, and the seedlings pop out with little root disturbance.

The units come in different sizes, so you can have appropriately sized "cells" for big, quick-growing plants and smaller ones for smaller or slower-growing plants.

These are not inexpensive, but they have paid for themselves in the improved results.

o

APS seed starters are the BEST!!! I purchased two 40-cell APS seed starters. I have been using them for three years. I get nearly 100% seed germination. REALLY!!! But because I am a somewhat careless person and gardener, I have lost many of the seedlings after germination. Some lost to over-watering and damping off fungus. Some lost because I didn't patiently "harden off" properly. I put them out in wind and sun too early. One batch blew over when I left it outside during a storm. And to top it off, sometime last winter I misplaced both of the water wicking matts. I can't wait for my spring Gardeners Supply catalog so I can replace them! And I do intend to be much more diligent in the way I treat my seedlings.

o

One of the first things you'll learn as a gardener is its a waste of money to buy everything full grown...... in many other places i.e. britain..... most people grow plants from seeeds...... I love instant gratification but you'll bust your bank account trying to buy full grown plants...... you'll have a lusher garden much quicker..... unless you're a millionaire and you can afford to buy hundred of plants full grown over a short period of a few years..... some plants you can't grow from seed i.e. shrubs..... ro at least it would be a pain or take too long..... many plants are easily grown from seed..... depending on wheter your garden is sun or shade their are lots of suggestions for beginner plants..... here's a list
Perennials easy ones..... all can be grown from seed:
echinacea
rudbeckia
heliopsis
agastache particularly foeniculum
bronze fennel
asclepias
helenium
goldenrod
papaver orientale (may have some difficulties transplanting)
lychnis chalcedonias
shasta daisy
new england aster
placydon
lychnis coronaria
hibiscus moscheoutus
dianthus superbus (fragrant)
limum perenne
alyssum saxatile
lilium regale (fragrant)
joe pye weed
malva
cerastium
some salvias......
biennials or perennials easy
digitalis
salvia argentea
queen anne's lace
others.....
alcea
annuals:
are nice for filling in color in a perennial garden.... many are easy from seed many can be direct sown......
sunflowers
cosmos
there's lots and lots...... some like petunias you have to start indoors......
herbs:
basil..... some cultivars are particularly pretty
chives
parsley..... not pretty but useful
oregano......

the fragrants perennials etc. I listed are nice...... you NEED some fragrants
and vines:
morning glory
hyacinth bean
moon flower (fragrant) !!!!!
scarlet runner bean
I have seeds and could trade you a few or send you a few for SASE self addressed stamped envelope ...... to get you started.......

Now save your money for bulbs and shrubs etc. be sure to by some early spring bulbs like crocus and others.....
and save up for shrubs..... try some roses that are disease resistant like old roses..... try ones with alot of fragrance..... mix these with the perenials or creat their own rose garden....... evergreen ones (shrubs) and seasonal interest ones like spirea since you're in NY I highly recommend azaleas for all season color.....

Have fun

o

Then again, there are many great plants that can't be grown from seed. I always buy the smallest sized plants I can find - don't even look at perennials in gallon pots. I often buy 4-packs of perennials, some local nurseries specialize in those, or look for the 3-for-$10 or other specials. Many perennials that you have to buy can be divided after a year or 2.

It's a good idea to keep reading and asking questions, and develop at least a rough planting plan for your garden. This includes a list of plants you'd like to have. Then, when you see a sale, you'll know whether the plants will be a long-term good investment, whether they will fit into your design, and not just be more plants for the sake of more plants.

I often can't resist something that is new and different, but I DO try to limit myself to plants I've thought about and can visualize in my garden.

o

I had great success growing from seed this year. I did most indoors but some were winter sown. I am fortunate to have 4 huge south facing sliders that get wonderful sun so I avoided the real problem with growing inside (leggy seedlings). Many of the winter sown plants were really robust and hardly blinked when I put them in the ground. I found that they did not germinate as well but who really needs 100 or 200 of anything. My beef with winter sowing was that I had to work to keep them them from drowning despite efforts at providing them good drainage. Some cold wet mornings I resented being outside in the slush after I had only to turn the flats in the windows inside. Anyway, I find it is far cheaper, I didn't resent the failures and it was really fun. I also agree that you have much more control over the variety.

o

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum which I love because of all the local info. I also love to start from seed, it appeals the the nurturer in me. I get the biggest kick when those little seeds pop up, I can be heard yelling yea!! then I look forward to checking on their progress each day as they continue to grow. I also have the pride when folks talk to me about my garden and tell me its pretty that started with seed. I so indoors under lights but would like to try winter sowing. I love gardening in winter it helps chase away the doldrums! Its really easy with a few supplies and the GW to help you any questions.

o

A follow up to my posting of August 31st.

My morning glories finally bloomed, but they were Grandpa Ott, I think, not Heavenly Blue. Massive (both size and number) heart shaped leaves and purple flowers with a red star in the throat.

Parks, bless their hearts, sent me a refund on my zinnias; I had ordered the scabiosa-flowered pastel ones, but they were the brightest colors going, which was not my plan. Must have been mis-labeled.

Haven't had a frost yet. Going to go to the Dahlia forum to see what to do.

o

I grow tons of plants from seeds. It's cheaper and you can get varieties not available as plants. Grew great tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce and Japanese bunching onions starting inside.
Re the APS seed starters, I've used them, but they are very prone to fungus growths, both on the soil surface and on the capillary mats. I prefer a good starting mix in a flat or small plastic cells, transplanting to 3" peat pots when ready.
Light is the biggest problem when starting indoors. Even a sunny window doesn't get as much light as a spot outdoors. So I use full-spectrum fluorescent lights, even in windows. And a heat mat underneath really speeds germination.
Many seeds can be sown directly outdoors. My biggest success this summer was Nasturtium "Whirlybird mixed." Grew into huge gorgeous mounds covered with flowers--still flowering like crazy right now! Veggies started outside: carrots, chard, basil, peas.

o

Hi - I haven't wintered sowed - need to try it, but we do grow plants from seed come April for late May planting. Some do well some do not - it just depends. I also did a wildflower garden by seed years ago - the third year of it was wonderful - lush and full. Everyone has great suggestions. For us we just use recycled DQ cups or clear salad containers, or soda bottles as mini greenhouses with good potting soil in placed in our bay window which receives alot of sun- after they have grown well we take off the top cover and fertilize a very little adding a bit of compost and keep watering until we can plant usually around Memorial Day. We also plant seeds right in the ground after the frost - same time after MD.

Good Luck! :-)

o

Muffie-
This might be a little late, but for future reference, morning glories tend to grow foliage and lack blooms if they are getting too much water. If you let them dry completely between waterings, I find they bloom profusely. Just don't dry them out too much.

o

Hey, Annabelle,

Thanks, but these guys never got watered, at least not by me! However, they were pretty close to the roses and I think there was too much fertilizer going on. Also, think I will start some MG seeds in peat pots or pellets; I know they don't like to be transplanted, but we have such a short season.

A big problem for me with seeds is that the description, especially of colors is not what I think is a certain color. Ex: peach, salmon and coral. Guess you have to grow them to see which color matches your idea of each. Last year I grew nasturtiums that were called peach, but to me they were gold - not a good match for the surrounding flowers.

I am looking for Salmon Baby nasturtiums this year, but having done major ordering from other places, don't look forward to ordering from Cook's at what ends up at about $6 for a packet incl. shipping. Does anyone know of a garden center near Portsmouth NH that carries Cook's Garden seeds?

o

MuffieNH,

Info for Spring & Summer 2005

When you plant Morning Glories they will have lots of green foilage and few or no flowers if your soil is rich. Morning Glories like sandy soil and no fertilizer. I learn that trick from a dear old gardener.. Another annual that likes sandy soil and no fertilizer is Nasturiums.

Ciao

o

MuffieNH,

What type of soil do you suggest to grown morning glories and Nasturiums in? I intend on trying both of these from seeds in Peat Pots, would regular potting soil work? Want flowers, not leaves!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me?

o

LindaMA, Plant them in sterile seed soil if you plan on starting them in peat pots and then when you transplant them outdoors plant them in regular soil and don't feed Morning Glories or Nasturiums any fertilizer. If you have a sandy section in your garden I usually dig up some sand and put in the section I plan to plant my Morning Glories. My Nasturiums -- I usually plant in pots so I just use Potting mix and no fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northeast Coastal Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here